Thread: Hi all

Lis
    Lis is offline Junior Member

Wink Hi all

hi all just found the forum and would welcome any advice. I'm a primary teacher with 10 years experience I have a family of 3 ranging from 3 to 11. My husband has always wanted to emigrate to nz and although i would love a good lifestyle for the children - i'm wondering just how tasking the whole move would be. would love to hear other peoples stories with families. And if it is the case 'the grass is always greener!!' thx

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi and to the forum. We haven't actually made the move yet but are about to submit our ITA. Although the forms look daunting I think one of the most taxing parts I have found is pleasing everyone - especially OH in the beginning. Now he and my boys are all for it the whole process is easier. Although family (in-laws) have made it more difficult. From a practical point of view I think selling the house is probably the worst part of it. Good luck with it all.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

catt is offline Member

welcome to the the roller coaster but like all fair ground rides it is exciting.........advice is research, research and then do some more research. This forum like some others is very good for information and no question is a dumb one so ask anything you like someone somewhere will give you an answer. Even if we dont have all the answers we do try to provide a lot of support to each other

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Lis and welcome.

As Catt says, the more research you can do into all aspects of life in NZ, the better prepared you will be. I don't think anyone could predict whether you'd love NZ or hate it because it depends on your individual circumstances and how well you settle there. We've had some outstanding successes on here, but also some folks who have decided that NZ is not for them for a variety of reasons, the biggest stumbling block being a financial one. If you are open-minded and flexible about what you will find and are prepared to make some adjustments to your everyday lives, you stand a much better chance of making a success of the move. If you are too rigid in your expectations, it's a recipe for disaster.

Have you visited NZ at all?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Lis
    Lis is offline Junior Member

Smile visit to nz

Plan to visit soon, do have little contacts over there - Mums friend lives there. There are so many questions that seem to pop into your mind when your seriously start thinking about a move. Like would I completely sell up here first or rent out my house and rent in nz (if I get accepted)? And I would love to hear how other English primary teachers have found the change in the teaching styles. At present I teach children in quite a deprived area and find it very rewarding although tiring at times !! But love my job!