Thread: Soon to move from RSA to NZ :-)

Brightside is offline Junior Member

Wink Soon to move from RSA to NZ :-)

Hi Everyone

Its good to have found this message board!
    My husband has just received a job offer in Wellington so it looks (hopefully) as though we'll be moving across in about June.
    We've been wanting to move to NZ for some time but until recently my Engineer husband couldn't find a job.
    I have a brother who lives in Gisborne.
    We have lived in a couple of countries in Europe, quite happily (I was born in Norway & my husband in Germany) but have now decided to settle in an Engish speaking country where our kids will have a safe and secure future.
    New Zealand seems the ideal place to go - I'm just sorry for the Kiwis that they have even more South Africans to contend with, lol!

Love
    Alexandra

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Alexandra . Welcome to MoveToNZ. Good to have you along with us although it is a bit quiet on here at the moment.

You must have a great deal of experience of different cultures with all the moving about you've done so I'm sure that will go in your favour when you finally settle in NZ. Are you both SAs who found themselves being born outside your country or are you really Norwegian and your husband German? I would hope that your kids would settle well in NZ as kids there seem to have more freedom and enjoy the outdoor life more.

Congratulations to your husband on getting the Wellie job. That will give you all a good start downunder.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the job offer.

We are heading to Welli in March (without job offer unfortunately- the hunt will be on once we land).

How old are your kids?

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Thank you Mother Bear!
    Oh, my husband is German but has lived here many years now. My Dad was Norwegian but my Mom is South African so I'm more South African than Norwegian but its useful having the passport.)
    Hubby has now accepted the job and we'll definitely be there mid June!
    xxx

Hi ebianca
    Congrats on your impending move.
    I'm sure you'll be fine - many people say that is the way to go!
    My kids will be 8 (boy) and 13 (girl) by the time we get there.
    Good Luck!
    xxx

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Hubby has now accepted the job and we'll definitely be there mid June!
    xxx
    All systems are go then. You'll be arriving downunder in the middle of winter so you know it can only get better.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Kiwikeen is offline Junior Member

Hi Brightside, I'm also new on the forum and we're also moving around about the same time as you. What a relief that your hubby has a job offer. Thats excellent!!

Ebianca - we're doing the same thing - Husband coming over and will start the job hunting then we'll come soon after......
    What a challenge!

Motherbear - I don't think this forum will be quiet for long - It looks like the whole SA will be in NZ soon... hie hie!!

"You'll be arriving downunder in the middle of winter so you know it can only get better. "
    And that's a great way of looking at it!

Hi Kiwikeen!
    So you're also coming from SA then? What part are you in?
    Yes, I know quite a few other people who are also moving across to NZ and other places..
    Its a hectic time now, isn't it, but its good to know that soon enough we'll look back on all this and feel relieved that its over and we're settled again..
    xx

Kiwikeen is offline Junior Member

You said it!! - hectic! and us SA people will understand why this big move is so crucial.
    Come from Randburg, Gauteng - and you? - At least you'll know lots of people there - a BIG BONUS.
    I think we are the first brave ones taking the first step - all friends and family still hanging in there.
    Time to move forward and let go.
    I've just never thought that I would ever had to start my life again in another country. Very exiting.

My husband is a huge rubgy supporter and will luckily go to a country where he's always had great respects for their teams. I just loves the All Blacks! (thank goodness)