Thread: Introduction

AmandaB is offline Junior Member

Default Introduction

Hi everyone - we are right at the beginning of the process of emigrating. We live in the UK and have been toying with the idea of leaving for many years. We are using immigration consultants because I took one look at the EOI and chickened out!! We are hoping to come over for interviews in April/May and to have a good look around. Any advice on how to use the trip to the best advantage would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to work/live in the Bay of Plenty area. My husband is an electrical engineer and we have three children. I will probably work eventually but don't think I can until I get citizenship (I work in immigration!!).
    Amanda

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi Amanda and welcome to our merry band of peeps

Just to clarify, you should be able to work once you get your Permanent Residency, as opposed to your Citizenship, which are completely seperate things.

Have you decided yet which Immigrations Consultants are you using? We have a pretty split opinion on the forum as to whether they are actually necessary in the emigration process but we are able to recommend a good one if you do decide to use one.

We'll do our best to answer any questions you may have so fire away as and when you come up with anything

Good luck with it all!

Default Introduction

We have chosen a consultancy and paid the first fee. They are circulating my husband's CV at the moment. I've looked on websites for a job for me but they all say that I must be a NZ citizen to work in immigration. It's not a problem at the moment - we have small children and will need to get them settled.

Default Introduction

One question I have is - income tax is higher than here but I can't find any reference to any kind of national insurance. Is income tax the only deduction from wages?

Bunstar is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaB View Post
    One question I have is - income tax is higher than here but I can't find any reference to any kind of national insurance. Is income tax the only deduction from wages?
    Hi Amanda,
    Welcome to the forum! In answer to your question I believe the only other compulsory deduction from your wages is ACC:

"All employees must pay an ACC earners' levy to cover the cost of non-work related injuries. It is collected by Inland Revenue on behalf of the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).

Employers deduct the earners' levy from wages. It is included as a component of PAYE deductions.

Earners' levy is charged at a flat rate each year" It is currently $1.30 per $100 (1.3%) Taken from Find out about - Income tax rates for individuals

Am sure someone else will correct me if there is more!!

We live in Tauranga and my boyfriend is an electronics control design engineer so if you have any questions we can help with just shout!

Clare

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Amanda and welcome to the forum.

I found this Labour Dept. website which relates to salary issues but didn't find it all that helpful.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey Amanda, I had a quick scout around the internet and found that: "To become an immigration officer you need to be a New Zealand citizen or have permanent residency." (From Career Services :: Jobs :: Immigration Officer - How to get into this job )

Just so you know for the future, when the time comes

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    Hey Amanda, I had a quick scout around the internet and found that: "To become an immigration officer you need to be a New Zealand citizen or have permanent residency." (From Career Services :: Jobs :: Immigration Officer - How to get into this job )
    So, Amanda, when you've settled in NZ and got yourself a job with INZ, please remember when it comes my turn to put in my application, it was my daughter-in-law that pointed you in the right direction.

Only joking.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ian
    ian is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaB View Post
    Hi everyone - we are right at the beginning of the process of emigrating. We live in the UK and have been toying with the idea of leaving for many years. We are using immigration consultants because I took one look at the EOI and chickened out!! We are hoping to come over for interviews in April/May and to have a good look around. Any advice on how to use the trip to the best advantage would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to work/live in the Bay of Plenty area. My husband is an electrical engineer and we have three children. I will probably work eventually but don't think I can until I get citizenship (I work in immigration!!).
    Amanda
    hi
    we are hoping to move out to auckland in less then six months, i have completed the EOI and got the ITA forms, i hav NZ nursing registration and a job offer. good luck
    ian

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi Ian & welcome . I too am anurse. Where are you hoping to settle and where is your job?
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch