Thread: Hello to you all :-) homesick Kiwi here.mayb oyu can help?

pebbles is offline Junior Member

Default Hello to you all homesick Kiwi here :-( mayb you can help?

Hey Everyone,so glad i found this site.We have been living in Perth for 5 months now and it really is beautiful and the people are friendly BUT its not my home or where family is.We moved here to try and get ahead.
    I am really homesick and wanna come home but i hear that there is not much work for my husband anymore,he is a plasterer...if anyone knows if this is true or not PLEASE let me know.We used to live in a small town called Warkworth (north of Auckland).

Its amazing how much you take for granted and its not untill you move that you realize this...i just hope work comes up in NZ then i can convince my husband to move back...

Has NZ got any harder in the short 5months that we have been gone?

Be so nice to chat to some kiwis and i look forward to it...Bye for now
    Last edited by pebbles; 30-01-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi pebbles,

I would think there was plenty of work for your husband, the rate that buildings are being thrown up around the place! You may have to move to a main centre to find the work, but there should be plenty of it.

As we tell people moving to NZ, when you move country you should give it at least a year before you feel settled. 5 months is a short time in the grand scheme of things, so think about why you moved to Aus in the first place, and see whether those reasons still apply. Shifting back home so soon could see you less content than you already are, and wanting to go back to Aus again. All of which is hard on the finances!

Anyway, just my thoughts, welcome to the forum
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

pebbles is offline Junior Member

Thanks Taffy..yes i have heard it can take up to a year or two to feel settled ,im not wanting to go home just yet ,just would like to know that maybe in the future we could and that there would be work.. :-)

Thanks for the warm welcome and hope to chat again soon.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Pebbles. Welcome to our little clan.

As Taffy says, there's been a building boom during the last couple of years although I think it's starting to tail off a bit now. Tradesmen have been very much in demand. Has your husband tried looking on the job sites to see what's available and where? You can find some of them on the NZ Website List .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Rob Fisher is offline Junior Member

Hey there Pebbles, We also moved to Perth for same reason, ie: not getting ahead, and yes I am also homesick, I think of home/freinds daily, and my old dog who we left behind with family. We lived in the beautiful Bay of Islands and yes things did get quiet (I am also in the construction industry) and yes if we had moved to Auckland we may have got a well paying job, but we are earning more here in Perth with the intention of getting back home to 2-3 years with less mortgage in NZ and ability to buy a business somewhere on the Tutukaka coast, this keeps me in check. We still own a home on the hills behind Kerikeri and I really love that place to looking at pictures on Trade Me almost daily - hope you are more settled in now.

Stats_chick is offline Member

Welcome to the boards! Good luck on the job front for hubby.