Thread: Hi there - i'm a newbie!

spid is offline Junior Member

Default Hi there - i'm a newbie!

hi there - well this looks like agreat site! Let me tell you a little about myself. I'm married to a lovely bloke, have 3 kids 13, 11, and 8 and am 41. I am a teacher and my hubby is in the forces as an engineer officer. Since being at college i have always fancied emigrating, and despite playing around with the idea a few times the time has never quite been right. Now it seems that hubby is on board and we are quite seriously looking. We are both quite eco-minded and wouold liketoself build an eco-home but don't know how possible that might be in NZ. ANyway, hope tomake a few friendson here and as ourtime scale is quite long (2 years+) look forward to seeing how alot of you get on.

Ginabridget is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Smile

Hello, welcome to the site. You've found a great site for any info you could ever possibly require for moving to NZ. I'm moving to NZ as soon as our house sells and once we're there, and after the property market has sorted itself out, we're hoping to self build as well, preferably some sort of eco style house. If we ever get it underway I'll let you know how it goes.

Best wishes for all your NZ plans.

Cheers,
    Gina
    26 January 2008 - House under offer, we're getting closer
    Feb 08 - our sale has fallen through
    19 March 08 - accepted another offer on the house
    Booked tickets, will arrive in NZ 4 July 2008
    Currently enjoying the 'weather bomb' in Northland July 08
    Anticipating a move to Auckland in the next few weeks - November 08

Default thanks

thanks for the welcome - it has taken me days of searching to find this site - my eyes are bleeding!

I would be very interested in your journey and especially the self build side. Are you wantinga specific area? Have you got jobs lined up? etc. do pleasekeepintouch. I'll pM you my email address but i'm on the wrong computer at the mo and can't access my email.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Spid. There's a bit of info in the forum about energy-efficient building materials, but not much. How easily you'll be able to build will partly depend on how eco you plan to be. Insulation, solar cells and double-glazing are one thing, rammed-earth or straw bale houses are another. If you do find good sources of info, please share here.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Spid and

Here's a few sites to browse through if you're looking for an energy-efficient eco-friendly home.

Energy Efficient Homes
    Ecobob
    Earth Homes
    Build your dream
    Build your dream house prices
    Pilbrow
    Straw Bale
    Sustainbuild
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default thanks

thanks to you all, that is a fair bit of info to look through and will keep me busy for a while - i'm not looking at straw bales type stuff - more insulation, heat sink, solar panels, wind turbine (poss), grey water recycling etc.

NOw off to post about schools - look out for it please!