Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virgin NZ wanabeeze

Catweazle is offline Junior Member

Default Virgin NZ wanabeeze

Hi all,
    been nosing around on here on and off for a couple of weeks, myself and my better half have been mulling the idea of emigrating for a while now, we've decided its now or never.
    Some advice as to how to get started and which visa application routes we should go down would be a great help, we understand it can be quite expensive to get the help of companies that do the whole process for you and as out budget is rather small is there a cheeper route we could take?
    Thanks in advance,
    martin.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Martin, welcome to MoveToNZ.

Perhaps we could help you a bit more if we know more about your circumstances. For instance, what is your line of work and what qualifications do you have, where do you think you'd like to settle in NZ and when would you be thinking of going?

All this sort of thing can help determine how you go about choosing the right visa. I don't think you can go far wrong in reading through all the posts on here to see how other people are doing it and compare their situations with your own.

Other than that, if you haven't already come across it, there's always the good old INZ site, which is the bible for NZ immigrant wannabes. It's not the easiest site to negotiate but it'll give you something to start with.

You really don't need to employ an agent to get your through the immigration process. Most of the folks on here either have done it themselves with the aid of advice on the forum or are about to do it so we're all in the same boat.

Good luck with your choice and, if you have any questions, feel free to throw them on here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Don't think that a consultant will "do the whole process" for you. I suspect that they mostly hold your hand, telling you to how & when to get your medicals, police check, etc. I suppose they might be helpful if you're not an organized sort, or have some tricky hoops through which to jump. They might offer other services, like advising on shippers, etc, but they seem to ask an awful lot of money for what you get. I looked in to Malcolm Pacific. The fellow I talked to mentioned "other services", but was very vague when I asked for specifics unless I gave them money. I suspect that these firms rely on people's insecurities about being able to do this on their own.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Default thanks Motherbear

Thanks for the welcome,
    Besides myself and the better half we have twin sons of 21 only one of them has expressed an interest in joining us on this quest, both are at University and the interested one is studying Business and advertising.
    Myself I am 51 and am self employed as a computer repair engineer since 2003, I would like to be doing something simular if possible in NZ, I am an A+ certified professional, iv'e taken and passed all 4 Cisco networking simesters with acreditation letters for all four,for passing with more than an 85% score, but not the CCNA certification (expensive and couldnt see the point!), Iv'e also passed the Cisco equivelent of the City and Guilds qualification for building and supporting IT systems, and the NVQ level 2 in computer systems, software and support. Iv'e also done a few other odds and ends, CLAIT and IBT2 and a basic Microsoft networking course.
    Hopefully these qualifications will help with the skilled migrant route.
    My Wife is a canteen assistant, she prepares meals for upto 300 people, she also orders ingredients etc, sorts and prepares factory sales( its a pork products factory) she also has the basic and supervisors intermediate certifications in food hygene.
    If all else fails I also have a Brother nd his family living in Rodney who would sponser us but i'd rather not burden them with that unless we had no other choice.
    We were looking at two years to complete everything and be heading for the aeroplane but thats open for debate and sooner would be better.
    We have'nt decided on a destination area as yet, the North Island seems to be calling, Auckland is ok but we wouldnt want to live there, we hav'nt seen the South island but we're quite happy to go where the work is at least to get ourselves planted.
    Hope this info helps give you an idea on which route we should be looking at.
    Thanks for your interest and help.
    Catweazle.

Thanks for the info Selchie, us uniniciated (i think thats how to spell it!) don't know whats the norm, the ones i found on the internet varied in cost and what they say they offer and seem to try scaremonger tactics by outlining the pitfalls, which only makes life more complicated, it opens your eyes when you have helpfull people like yourself to point us in the right direction.
    Thanks again,
    catweazle.

Blog Entries

If your qualifications are recognised by INZ and you have several years work experience in the same field as your quals, then the Skilled Migrant Category sounds like the right way to go.

I don't know how much, if any, research you've done on the Internet regarding the immigration process so I'll just stick up a few pointers for you in case you haven't already come across them.

An overview of the SMC which contains a simple diagram so you can follow the steps you will need to take.

The Long Term Skill Shortages List . You'll need to check whether your job title appears on here before you move forward with the SMC.

The points indicator . If you work through this it will give you an idea of how many points you are likely to get. You need a minimum of 100 points to be able to apply under this category - the more points the greater chance you have of being selected. It's worth noting that, if you hope to get a job outside Auckland you will get more points, hence my query above about where you hope to settle. Having a close family member already in NZ will no doubt help your case as well.

If you find you are eligible to apply under the SMC, this is a guide to help you make the first step in the process.
    Mother Bear

Default Thanks MotherBear

Thanks for the info, will spend a few days looking through the links you posted and try to see if my qualifications are what they need and are recognised,
    Will chat again soon, now for some reading.
    Catweazle.

q2.co.nz is offline Junior Member
    Until 3rd of March Berlin, then Wellington

Default Short pros and cons of Visa application versus going directly

Hello Catweazle, hello everyone,

I can only agree to what's been said in regards to paid assistance to get a work visa. My husband and I have completed the entire process of applying for a permanent residency by ourselves. And we are not even native english speakers.

We did have the necessary stuff to get enough points, though (qualification is on the shortage list, work experience, right age, recognized education etc) so we tried right for the PR, and succeded, giving us the advantage of working on contract right from the start and not being at the mercy of an employer while the application is being processed.

A much easier (and faster) way of course, which many people choose, is to simply go to NZ on a 3month tourist visa, then look for a job while you're there. Once you have a job your employer handles the formalities (since he wants to keep you). The two disadvantages of that menthod are the stress (finding a job in 3 months) and being stuck with one employer or a certain period of time.

I'm not sure if the whole application process is worth the efford, time and money if you are applying for any "smaller" (timed or otherwise restricted) work visa less of the PR. Might be better to just go there and start looking.

Greetings from Berlin. 6 more weeks until our plane goes!
    Petra

Default Thanks Petra

Thanks for your information, every bit helps to build a pictue, glad it's worked for you and I'm only a bit jealous!! There seems to be quite a few avenues for entry, the problem seems to be finding the right one. Everyone seems to agree that going it alone (sort of!) is the way forward and the cheepest, I was seriously thinking of using one of the agencys who said they sorted everything, boy am I glad I found this site and all these helpful members.
    Good luck on your adventure,
    Catweazle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by q2.co.nz View Post
    A much easier (and faster) way of course, which many people choose, is to simply go to NZ on a 3month tourist visa, then look for a job while you're there. Once you have a job your employer handles the formalities (since he wants to keep you). The two disadvantages of that menthod are the stress (finding a job in 3 months) and being stuck with one employer or a certain period of time.
    6 months in the case of UK visitors. There HAS to be some benefit to being British.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast