Thread: Bankrupt!!!

nhuggy is offline Junior Member

Default Bankrupt!!!

Hi everyone!

I'm currently living in England and have been made bankrupt. Does anyone know if this affects an application to live in N.Z?

Thanks NH

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi NH, to the forum.

From what I can see you would have difficulty getting residency if you want to go under the Entreprenuer or Long Term Business Visa.

Long Term Business Visa/Permit Category (temporary)

This category is suitable for business people who are interested in establishing a business in New Zealand.

Applicants under this policy are aiming at obtaining residency while being self-employed rather than looking for employment.

Self-employment is defined as lawful active involvement in the management and operation of a business in New Zealand, which the applicant has established or purchased, or in which he or she has made a substantial investment.

Applicants need to

have completed a business plan that meets the requirements for their business proposal
    have business experience relevant to their business proposal
    have not been involved in bankruptcy
    have not been involved in business fraud
    have obtained professional or occupational registration in New Zealand if registration is required for operating the proposed business
    have, in addition to investment capital, sufficient funds for their maintenance and that of their families
    meet Health and Character requirements
    meet the minimum standard of English
    demonstrate that they are genuinely interested in establishing the business in New Zealand.

That's what I've found so far, so maybe you'll be lucky and still be able to apply unless you particularly wanted to go via the LTBV route.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I don't believe being bankrupt goes against residency applications, but it does limit your options as to what you can do when you get here. Only as far as establishing a business, or being involved in certain activities though. Being bankrupt is the only part of your credit history you are obliged to disclose in NZ too, if you're asked of course!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.