Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: want to retire to New zealand

pajohn is offline Junior Member

Default want to retire to New zealand

I have been blessed with winning a huge lottery in the USA-some where along the lines of 19 million after taxes just for me.Would love to retire and live my life out in your beautiful country.My understanding though is immagartion frawns on coming to New Zealand and retiring.Does any one know if this is the case.i am 55 years old and will not be working in New Zealand.My dreams are to just buy a hoiuse in the 1 to 2 million range near the beach.And live the good life.

Am i looking at an up hill battle to live out this dream on mine????

Thanks for any help or advice you guys could give me.

John

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi John and welcome to MoveToNZ.

It is very difficult to get to live permanently in NZ if you don't fit into their various categories and are wanting to retire there. As luck would have it, having just had a windfall might be your particular way in. You could investigate applying under the Active Investor Migrant Category . It means tying up some of your money for 4 years, but maybe that's not a problem for you now. Have a read through and see what you think.

on your win.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks mother bear for the info.yes investing some of my winnings wouild not be a problem at all for me,if it meant being able to live in New Zealand.you have given me some hope in abtaining my dream.

If i may ask is their any companys that specailize in helping in my situation.i`am really on the ground level in starting this dream of mine.I have more money then I will ever need in a life time,so paying some one or some company to do my legg work would be a no brainer.And also would knowing a resident of New zealnd help my cause??because I do know some one that lives their now,a native New Zealander.I also have the issue of bringing my dog over with me.Other then a suit case i would buy the house the all the furniture in new Zealand.Any way thanks so much for your help Mother bear.i`am sure I will have a ton of more questions for you guys.

John

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pajohn View Post
    .And also would knowing a resident of New zealnd help my cause??because I do know some one that lives their now,a native New Zealander.I also have the issue of bringing my dog over with me.
    No, I'm afraid knowing a New Zealander wouldn't do anything for your 'cause'. Now, if you had close relatives with residency or citizenship who could sponsor you, that would be a different matter. Having family members in NZ does help.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi John,

Congratulations on your windfall, must have been an amazing experience!

The investor category certainly seems like your best option, or if you have any business experience you may also be eligible for the Business Visa.

There shouldnt be an issue bringing your dog either. It will need specific injections from a vet, and may have to be quarantined for a while upon arrival, but there's certainly no issue bringing a dog.

If you want to pay a company to deal with all the immigration legwork, our site has teamed up with New Zealand Shores - You can find them by clicking here: New Zealand Shores. Their site is geared towards UK, US and SA migrants.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Taffy

to say it was an amazing experience is an under statement.It truely was a dream come true that I couldn`t even imagine to explain.I have been a blue collar kind of guy my whole life,so business experience for me is pretty much not their really.I was a heavy equipement operator-backhoes/loaders/bull dozers that kind of stuff.Thanks taffy so much for the "New Life New Zealand" link.Being a newbee here you guys have been awesome in helping me start this process.and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

John

kjh5475 is offline Junior Member

Default Another option

Unless I'm mistaken, you can stay in New Zealand for 9 months on a visitor's visa as long as you don't intend to work. Perhaps you could do "6 months in NZ, 6 months in some warm tropical area where they serve you drinks with little umbrellas in them" kind of thing

Sorry, I don't have any advice about transporting your dog.
    Kim
    New Zealand Bound... One Day

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=720397826

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/kjh5475

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

I like that little umbrella idea-I lauged when i read your post.Thats also a possiblity which I never considered.Thanks so much for makng my day.Like I said i`am on the ground floor with this move so any ideas are sure welcomed.

John

KiwiHopeful

Thanks so much for the link,some more useful information.this site is really a wealth of knowledge.You guys are the best.

John

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast