Thread: Greetings - what a great site!

LivingLife is offline Junior Member

Default Greetings - what a great site!

Hi everyone!
    My name is Elizabeth. I left South Africa and came to the USA to gain additional work experience while the country went through its growing pains. I visit SA every year - all my family still there.
    I've reached that point in my life where I want to have a better work-life balance --- actually I want to have a life :)
    That brings me to finding a new permanent home - based on my initial web searches New Zealand seems to be an excellent match.

My work experience is in the environmental field - in particular waste management (solid waste, recycling, haz waste, and nuclear). What job/recruiting agencies should I try to connect with?

Hopeful immigrant,
    Elizabeth (LivingLife)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Elizabeth,

to MoveToNZ.

This is a site dedicated to waste management in NZ . There is a page for jobs but there doesn't seem to be any listed at the moment. Nevertheless, perhaps you could contact them to see if they can offer you anything or suggest something to you.

If you have a look on the NZ Website List under Employment, there's quite a few job sites listed. Don't take too much notice of the job type that comes after the links as most of the sites deal with all manner of jobs.

Alternatively, if you don't mind paying for someone to help find a job, you could contact New Zealand Shores as your job type isn't that run-of-the-mill.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I don't have any recruiting agency info. I used to be in environmental consulting too, though mostly dealing with contaminated soil and groundwater investigation and remediation.

A while ago I searched on the internet and bookmarked some sites. Many are dead ends now, but the one below might be of interest to you. There didn't seem to be much, though it could be that I don't know the right Kiwi key words like I do in the US.

You could augment your search based on your educational background (e.g. engineer, geologist, chemist). I've got additional info on the geosciences.

Crown Minerals: this appears to be a government-run oil & mining "company". Those sorts of operations always need monitoring or cleanup somewhere.

The Department of Conservation used to have a "Jobs Available" link, but it is dead now. But you could try them anyway.

The regional councils also use environmental scientists, though that would probably be in a more regulatory capacity.

My OH probably has a huge list of links to job prospects, but it's not on this computer.

Good luck!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

LivingLife is offline Junior Member

Thanks MotherBear and Selchie!

The more I read about NZ the more excited I get. I signed up for the 5 daily newsletters from NewLifeNZ - Paul Goddard. Very insightful.

At this early stage in the game, I'm leaning toward having a company (like NewLifeNZ) assist me through the whole process --- it'll cost, but the peace of mind makes it well worth the expense.

Elizabeth