Thread: The "Oh @!$%*" moment...

MaxG is offline Junior Member

Default The "Oh @!$%*" moment...

After lurking for a few weeks, I feel I should now say hello.

We (me, my wife, and the two daughters) went out to NZ in July for four weeks, as we had done last year, to visit my brother in Wanganui. I'd been looking for NZ jobs for a couple of years, and by chance saw a job advertised whose closing date meant I'd be in Wanganui for an interview (if I got one).

I did get an interview - the evening before we were due to fly back! And last night I had a second interview via Skype. This morning I heard by phone I'd got the job. Now the initial excitement has slightly worn off, I'm now at the 'OMG, it's really happening - what do I do now?' stage. So much to do, and so little time...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Max.

to the forum. Glad you decided to dip your toe in and join us.

Exciting times for you with a job in the bag. How far along are you with applying for your PR or haven't you started the process yet? It must be very helpful with all things NZ to have your brother there already.

If you have any immigration queries just throw them on the forum and we'll try and help you out. It's a bit quiet on here at the moment with some having just made the move to NZ and others pondering on what to do next, but I'm sure it'll pick up again soon.

All the best to you in your new job.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

MaxG is offline Junior Member

Still need to do the EOI, but I see the next draw isn't till the 26th. And I need to sort out medicals, police check , get a full version of my birth certificate (I think you can order that online?), negotiate on potential start dates - they want me to start asap (they've never hired anyone directly from overseas before), I'm reluctant to give notice till I know we can all go (and I have to give 8 weeks notice).

It's likely that I'll be going out first with the rest of the family to follow June next year (so younger daughter can complete her Standard Grade exams, and elder daughter complete a year at uni).