Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hiya from Manchester

annasevickejones is offline Junior Member

Default hiya from Manchester

Hi there,

I've made the decision to go to NZ so now looking for people to share their stories with me - people who are doing the same or have moved already. So what a great site here!

My hubby is a kiwi but has lived with me in UK for 7 years - met when only 17 and been married 2 years. He's put up with UK for so long - following me to uni then a teaching job so it's about time i did something for him. He's homesick so how could i turn down the opportunity to live in NZ? I've been there twice - once for 4 months, the other time i got married there. I love the country but will miss my family soooo much. We're waiting for the visa and then OFF. They said it will take 4-6 months.

-Please share stories with me (hopefully good ones)

Anna

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Anna,

to the forum. Good to see you here.

Sorry, I don't have a story to share with you just yet as we're waiting for my son to sponsor us after August next year. We've been to NZ twice on visits and liked what we saw, although I'm sure there's a whole lot more good stuff to see yet.

Just wanted to welcome you to our happy (but wacky) little band.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey Anna

Another welcome from me We moved to NZ from the UK in November 2004 - there's my husband, our 7 year old daughter and myself! We've loved NZ since the day we set foot on the hallowed soil and, although we miss our family (me, in particular), we have no regrets about coming here. I'll be the first to admit NZ has its downsides compared to the UK, but the upsides far outweigh them .

Can't think of anything in particular to tell you now, but ask away any questions you may have. I think you're very brave and very caring to decide to do this for your husband - although I can understand why he's homesick for Aotearoa!

Good luck and welcome aboard

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Anna and

Having sponsored my Scottish OH, just shout if you need a hand with the visa application, although I think from your post, you've applied & are just awaiting the blue stickers.

Like your hubby, I've lived in the UK for about 7 years & can't wait to go home either!

Hope to see you round this madhouse!

Sal

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Ayup gal and welcome aboard.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Thanks for all your replies. We haven't actually sent off the application form yet- we're waiting for th police form to come back - it's been 28 days and it said it could take up to 40. Everyday we come home from work looking forward to seeing the letter on the mat - and nothing yet. Once we've got that back we're ready to send off our huge file of evidence - to prove i've lived with my hubby for a year.

Does anyone know if there's a way to speed the process up?? Because apparently once we've sent the appication off it takes anoither 4-6 months to complete!! We'd like to go to NZ sooner than that if poss. We don't want to have to fork out a return flight to get into NZ if my visa hasn't come back? ANY IDEAS?

anna

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by annasevickejones View Post
    . Once we've got that back we're ready to send off our huge file of evidence - to prove i've lived with my hubby for a year.

anna
    Anna, I was in immigration in Hamilton last week tlaking to the woman on the desk about my work visa application. I am applying as a partner and have to prove our relationship as well even though we have been together for 8 years and have a daughter. The woman said to me that they don't need that much information. she said that they have peeps send them reams and reams of unnecessary stuff that then takes them ages to verify, if you've sent it they have to verify it. All they need is one of each of the things they've asked for from different years. So eg. if you have a joint bank account, 1 statement from the beginning of your relationship period and one present would be enough not all your statements for the whole year. If you're sending photos, a couple for this year a few more from a different time with maybe different hairstyles etc or children that were obviously younger/older. Official letters, rent, council tax etc but just one from then and one from now. So don't be sending that huge file, it'll take them even longer than you're hoping for!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Official letters, rent, council tax etc but just one from then and one from now.
    Got me thinking how we'll manage on this score. All our bills etc. since we've been together are in Arabic, the name parts anyway, so they could belong to any old Ahmed and his camel as far as INZ (as NZIS now seems to be called) is concerned.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default thank you

thank you - that's so helpful. We thought the more evidence the better but we will def be taking your advice ! thanks!

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

I'll second what Dawn says (cos I want her to keep my seat!)

Here's a list of the "proof of living together" documents we supplied in our partnership application.

Flight itinerary for flights together in 2004
    Flight boarding passes & eticket for trip to NZ in 2006
    Wedding invitation dated July 2005
    Car rental agreement in NZ dated April 2006
    Council tax bill dated February 2006
    Council Tax bill dated March 2003
    Council Tax bill dated August 2003 (all tax bills for different addresses)
    Royal Mail redirection letter dated September 2005
    Letter from insurance regarding joint insurance policy dated January 2007
    Gas & electric bills dated January 2006
    Letter from Bank confirming new joint bank account dated August 2005
    Letter from rental agency dated March 2003
    Tenancy agreement dated June 2002

So you can see we didn't send an awful lot (& no photos as I didn't have dates on any!). Nothing was queried.

15 April 2007 - Original application received.
    16 February - Ltr sent back saying I'd forgotten OH's passport - doh!
    27 February - Application received again .
    10 April - Advised application referred to a medical assessor
    30 May - Approved
    14 August - Passport with visas returned (we didn't apply for this straight away so we had longer to get to NZ in case of a delay)

Sorry this is a bit lengthy but hope it helps someone.

Sal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast