Thread: Silly Mistakes

TP1
    TP1 is offline Junior Member

Red face Silly Mistakes

I am going through the WTR process at the moment. I have the certificate from the company a good medical check and unfortunately a criminal record. 16 years ago I mixed up with the wrong crowd and got convicted for theft, and a minor drug offence. I received a conditional discharge and had to pay a find. I have had my current employee write a very good character reference but am convinced that I am not going to get a visa. Its the uncertainty which is killing me. Can any one suggest one way or another what my chances are?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum TP1

16 years is a long time ago and, if you've had a clean record since then, I'd think you would still have a good chance of getting into NZ if everything else is in order. If there is any question of problems with your previous record, perhaps if you could convince NZIS that it was a 'folly of youth' that brought about the offences, they shouldn't be too hard on you. Also, if you didn't get a prison sentence, that should go in your favour. I'd say push ahead with your application and don't worry too much about your previous offences. If all else fails, you could always apply for a character waiver.

Read through this and this to see how it affects you. The second one mentions drugs and waivers.

Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

TP1
    TP1 is offline Junior Member

Default Silly Mistake

Thanks for your help. I didn't get a prison sentance, in fact I got a conditional disharge which meant as long as I didn't do anything else stupid for 2 years I would'nt face any charges. I had to pay a fine and everything was settled. I'm going through with the process - just hope it doesn't stop my application.