Thread: Hello!

Carl is offline Member

Default Hello!

Hi everybody! I am currently in the US Air Force living in Incirlik Turkey. My wife and I are completely and utterly fed up with the US, and I am actively seeking a way out of the military. I have never been to New Zealand, but have heard nothing but good things about it. It is everything that I want in a country. I am hoping to make it there within two years, asuming that I can in fact get out of my contract for the Air Force.

I guess thats all for now. This looks to be a great resource, and i plan to pick everyones brain!!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Carl

Good luck with your quest to move to NZ. There are plenty of us whose brains you can pick on here (you might even get a sensible answer ) and we'll try and help out as much as we can.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and we'll answer them and/or point you in the right direction
    Last edited by Welshgirl; 31-07-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Carl, welcome to the forum from me too
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

bstar is offline Member

Pick our brains!! That is what we are here for....unfortunately I don't have many brains left to pick!!!
    EOI submitted 9th April 2007
    EOI drawn 11th April 2007
    ITA received May 8th 2007
    ITA received by NZIS June 1st 2007
    PR approved by NZIS June 19th 2007

Arrived in Auckland August 23rd 2007

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Carl, welcome on board.

NZ is a good choice to make if you want to settle somewhere, as long as you do your research so you know what's ahead of you. If you're hoping to leave the USAF have you any idea what career you'd want to take up in NZ or would you try to apply for the RNZAF?

Exciting times ahead for you and we hope to share them with you. Good luck with getting out of your current contract.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Carl is offline Member

Hi everybody. Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

I am currently a Network Infrastructure technician.... so basically I play with/fix (on a good day) Cisco switches and routers. Definately on the skilled migrant list IT something or another. Problem is I dont have my degree yet. I will have my associates in about a year. My wife is working toward her bachelors in History; she wants to be a teacher, which is great because thats also needed from what ive seen. Problem with that is her degree is two years away!!

So much to think about... then i did look briefly at the RNZAF, and I am definately intrigued. I would hafta look into it much more deeply to actually commit to that... clearly the commitment to th usaf isnt going as well as i hoped

okay... sorry rambling again!

Its great to meet everybody, thanks again for the warm welcome!! I will see you all in NZ in a few years!

-Carl

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Hi Carl!

Good luck and keep working on getting those degrees finished!
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I suppose kissing your superior officer (assuming it's a male) ala Bugs Bunny would get you discharged, but might not look so good to NZIS. I hope you don't have too much longer, though who knows how long Dubya might want to keep you beyond your official tour. Good luck with that.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s