Thread: Hello Just finishing our EOI.

vivvyp is offline Junior Member

Default Hello Just finishing our EOI.

Hello I am Vivien and my hubby is Mike, We have two children 3yr and 1yr.

We are wanting to move to NZ but like many we need to find a job first. My husband being the wage earner is an electronics field engineer
    for the prepress printing industry (also known as technical engineer) He is trying to get into the medical imaging field of work, fixing this kind of equipment. Does anyone know off hand if these jobs are around?

Also we just don't know where the best place to live would be. fantastic schools would be our number one advantage. Where are the most popular places people emigrate to? Do they stay there?

Thanks any help welcomed

Viv x

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi Vivien & Mike

Can't help you with the job query sorry, but hopefully someone else on here will be able to assist you.

In the meantime, take a look at our schools database here: New Zealand Schools Database

There are many, many reasons for emigrating to a particular part of NZ, usually dependant on job availablity. Some things for you to bear in mind are: The South Island climate tends to be colder than the North Island. Popular destination choices are Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland & Tauranga. Most people we have spoken to have happily settled in NZ, but obviously there are exceptions. Financially, you are likely to be worse off in NZ, particularly if you came from a well-paid job in your home country, but most people find that the lifestyle more than makes up for what you lose in income (providing you are earning at least enough to survive obviously!).

Umm, can't think of anything else for now but ask away anything you like and we'll be happy to help
    Last edited by Welshgirl; 26-07-2007 at 10:54 PM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Viv and Mike,

Welcome to the forum from me, too.

Sorry, can't supply any info on the type of job your hubby is looking for either but would suggest you try looking on the Master Website List under Employment where there are some job agents' links. It might give some idea of whether there's anything in that line available.

Many people start out with fixed ideas on where they'd like to live in NZ but, in the end, it comes down to where the jobs are. If your hubby gets a job offer before leaving for NZ, you can always ask on here if anyone has inside knowledge of that particular area. Then you need to narrow it down to whether you're a city family or you'd like somewhere rural. People do move around if they get a better job in another area or they've found somewhere else where they'd prefer to live. This could happen after being in NZ for some time, when they've had time to look around and get a better idea of what's available. Nothing's fixed in stone.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Aaaannnnnd another welcome from me

Although I don't know of any jobs off-hand, they are certainly available. I was having a flick through the jobs section on Trademe, and there were a couple of jobs in that sort of field - some being for vets equipment (well, this is the Waikato!).

I don't think he'll have much difficulty finding a job in the electronics field.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

vivvyp is offline Junior Member

Default thankyou

thanks to you all, great advice will post with any other questions when needed.

Viv x