Thread: I thought for sure I'd done this before...

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default I thought for sure I'd done this before...

...but what the heck. My darlin' wife Karin and I live on the foggy northern coast of California. We have two cats, Artemis and Isabel (who say 'hello' to MB's Purdy & Chunky). I am happily occupied as a home improver (mostly done), gardener (never done), and artist (hardly ever getting the time). I had been a geologist in the environmental cleanup business, but got bored and gladly gave it up for the life of a "kept woman".

I've been lurking around the forum since we applied for PR in 2005. We finally got approved by NZIS this year, but are stalling on a decision. We really love NZ and want to move there, but also have a wonderful circle of friends here whom we are reluctant to leave. So we will wait till the last minute to pay our Migrant Levy, and then have another year (I think) to finally get over to NZ.

In the meantime, I can't resist visiting this lovely forum and circle of online friends, and putting in my two cents now and again .

Laura
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by selchie View Post
    ............ and gladly gave it up for the life of a "kept woman".
    Well, aren't you the lucky one

Can understand your predicament about whether or not to make the move here - just convince your circle of friends to come too and you'll be sorted

You know, all this time I never realised your name was Laura....

Anyway, re-welcome to the forum and may you keep on enjoying it for a long time to come

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Laura,

Re-welcome to your cyber home.

I was wondering how your plans were going. I think the best way to combat the problem of losing good friends is to make sure they all visit on a regular basis so you never feel that cut off from them. Have them come down to NZ in dribs and drabs so that you have a continual stream of visitors to look forward to.

Hugs to Artemis and Isabel.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

If only it were so easy as to convince our friends to come too. Most of them have family ties which I doubt would stretch that far. Travel money is an issue, too. But who knows? I know they'd all love the sailing - the main group is into wooden boats and old sailing ships.

If we can work it right, we'll be able to keep our immigration door open until the next presidential election. Then we'll have a better idea of how the political wind blows in the US, and whether it's time to run away or it's safe to stay.

Yes, being a kept woman is nice, though I think I work harder than when I was employed. But I can name my hours and decide what the day's chore is. No time sheets to fill out either, nor cranky clients or regulators to appease. It works for me as long as I can get away with it.

I've gotten so fond of my user name, that I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I have such a mundane given name. But I like it even so, and I'll answer to either.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

Blog Entries

Dawn's own intro inspired me a wee bit:

I'm a recovering hippie wannabe - mostly in the back-to-the-land Humboldt honey way. I just missed the boat, and got stuck coming of age in the Disco Era. But a late intro to Pink Floyd helped me survive. The land I've gotten back to is only 1/3 acre, but is pretty good considering I married a city slicker. My little plot keeps me happy though, and gives us some nice veggies, fruit and flowers.

I still talk to trees and rocks as a matter of course - I'm an animist, believing that everything has a spirit. I'm not up on what makes up Bhuddist principles, but I'm sure I've incorporated some into my life. I'm spiritual, but not religious. There are too many good ideas and points of view for me to choose one culture's way over another.

Even with the old hippie aspirations, I can be obsessive about details. ...must...organize...crayons!