Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Hello Hello

loopylu is offline Member

Default Hello Hello Hello

Thought I'd join in and re-introduce myself too...

So... hi my name's Lucy and I'm 28 and currently living in the UK... I'm currently studying for my doctorate in Clinical Psychology and if all goes to plan I finally graduate this September

I have always wanted to live abroad and have spent quite a bit of time in various countries and although I've not yet visited New Zealand I've always felt that's where I'll end up... however my partner is not so sure (predominantly because he's always lived in the same small town and is really really close to his family and can't imagine living abroad)... he's always known I've wanted to emigrate but it's only now becoming a reality and he's having second thoughts so we've come up with a compromise...

I love travelling and have talked him into taking a round-the-world trip for 12 months starting in September (Central and South America, Australia, Singapore, Thailand and of course spending a good few months on a WHV in New Zealand)... which he is now really excited about and really wants to do... he hopes that this will get the 'travel bug' out of my system and I'll want to come back to the UK after... while I believe that he'll catch that 'travel bug' and fall in love with NZ and realise that he can cope away from the UK and want to emigrate too... so we'll have to see what happens with that one but he is open to the fact that this trip may change his thoughts and feelings and I've got my fingers and toes crossed that New Zealand will wow him too (he's a total outdoor adventure sort of person and am convinced he'll love it when he sees what NZ has to offer)...

So that's me really... we've spent the last 15 months completely gutting and renovating our house and are now desperately trying to get it finished in time to start our round-the-world venture when I graduate...

Counting down the days already... and hopefully shoud arrive in New Zealand in December/January time ready for the summer...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loopylu View Post
    Hello, hello, hello...
    Taffy! There's an echo on this forum. Can you sort it, please?

Lucy, what an interesting re-introduction. Sounds like it’s going to be a very exciting year for you when you set out on your mammoth trip. Oh to be young, footloose and fancy-free. I really envy you and hope you’ll keep us in touch with how things are going for you. It’ll certainly be a cliff-hanger waiting to hear if your partner will take NZ on board as a place to settle. It’s a good way to break him out of the UK rut without it sounding too final and frightening him.

I wish you the very best of luck with your graduation and for your trip. Oh… and re-welcome to the forum . I’m sure we’ll look forward to following your adventures around the world.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Lucy, happy re-welcome to the forum from me too!

Glad everyone's getting in to the spirit of re/introductions. It's so easy to forget there's a story behind every name

So, good on ya
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Hey Lucy, that trip sounds amazing! I did a similar trip in 2000...except I started in NZ...I now realize I should have gone the other way round! Seems like so long ago and the world has changed so much since then it would be a whole new experience if I went again...I'll keep dreaming of course. I wish you the best of luck and happy travels... I'll be watching for the updates....

Bermy Girl... what countries did you visit... any you'd definitely recommend or any you'd definitely avoid??? It's so complicated trying to figure out where to go and when etc... but am sure it'll all fall into place once I get out there...

Will be sure to keep updating on our adventures and am sure I'll have tonnes of questions and things to figure out when I'm closer to hitting New Zealand shores

bstar is offline Member

Bermy Girl... what countries did you visit... any you'd definitely recommend or any you'd definitely avoid??? It's so complicated trying to figure out where to go and when etc... but am sure it'll all fall into place once I get out there...

Will be sure to keep updating on our adventures and am sure I'll have tonnes of questions and things to figure out when I'm closer to hitting New Zealand shores

Hi Lucy! Welcome!

Sounds really exciting!! And you are bound to love NZ...it is fabulous!

I have done a bit of travelling in South America, and also South East Asia.....I would highly recommend Argentina and Brazil...they are just fantastic countries....I visited Malaysia not so long ago...really really beautiful and the people are really friendly. I would definately advise a good insurance company for your trip though....unfortunately I was involved in a bus accident in Brazil (luckily all ok now though!)....needed medical treatment. It is amazing how many travellers overlook this, and it is so important.

Good luck and keep us updated!!
    EOI submitted 9th April 2007
    EOI drawn 11th April 2007
    ITA received May 8th 2007
    ITA received by NZIS June 1st 2007
    PR approved by NZIS June 19th 2007

Arrived in Auckland August 23rd 2007

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Wonder how that'll all wotk out then? Which way will it go? Interesting to watch this one! IMO how on earth can you travel to all of those astounding places and then want to go back to the UK? Don't get it! Fingers crossed for you loopylu! Quite frankly, he's only a man and he should do as he's told
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Bermy Girl... what countries did you visit... any you'd definitely recommend or any you'd definitely avoid??? It's so complicated trying to figure out where to go and when etc... but am sure it'll all fall into place once I get out there... :
    Hey Loopylu, I did my trip back in 2000 and we started in NZ for 6 weeks, then AUS for 3 months, Bali (we stayed up in the montains in the cultural and art center of the island as apposed to the famous beach and tourist area in the south), Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam (Northern Vietnam was one of my favourites it was gorgeous out on the deltas), Nepal (not sure what that would be like right now with the political unrest, but at the time the people were very friendly and we enjoyed our time here), India (the Taj Mahal has to be seen, although it's a full days trip from New Delhi, it's definitely worth it, wasn't that big on India in general, maybe it was the aggressiveness of many of the people in the north, we never did make the south), Egypt (behind NZ was definitley my favourite, it is awe-inspiring standing in front of the pyramids for the first time, I love the history and culture of Egypt and was fascinated with everything), Greece (The islands are gorgeous, of course if you are there you have to see the acropolis, etc, but the islands were the best for me), Germany (Cologne is gorgeous, I've spent a lot more time in Germany then anywhere else as I have family there. The old East Germany was fascinating because of it's history, but I know a lot has changed significantly there since I was there), Portugal (must get out of Lisbon, the rest is beautiful), Spain (Barcelona is a favourite of mine...Les Rambles, architecture...). That was it for that trip! I have travelled all over the US and Canada as well, if you need any info there...went to school in the US for 6 years.

Hope this long ramble is somewhat helpful, if you have any specific questions let me know....Good Luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the replies...

bstar - yes getting insurance is definitely on the to-do list and will be visiting both Argentina and Brazil so that's good to hear they come highly recommended and am also hoping to do Peru, Bolivia and Chile...!!!
    Bermy Girl - your trip sounded amazing... and just hearing about the places people have visited makes me so excited... most of the countries you visited I'm unlikely to be able to do this time around...and am only going to have a couple of weeks in Singapore/Thailand but depending on money then may be able to extend it a bit and do Vietnam etc... will have to see how it all goes... but am sure this won't be my last trip... just hopefully the next one will start from NZ

My first task... to try and learn enough spanish before I get there to help me make the most of Central and South America...

Adios... ok I know... pretty basic but it's a start!!!

bstar is offline Member

Thanks for the replies...

bstar - yes getting insurance is definitely on the to-do list and will be visiting both Argentina and Brazil so that's good to hear they come highly recommended and am also hoping to do Peru, Bolivia and Chile...!!!
    Bermy Girl - your trip sounded amazing... and just hearing about the places people have visited makes me so excited... most of the countries you visited I'm unlikely to be able to do this time around...and am only going to have a couple of weeks in Singapore/Thailand but depending on money then may be able to extend it a bit and do Vietnam etc... will have to see how it all goes... but am sure this won't be my last trip... just hopefully the next one will start from NZ

My first task... to try and learn enough spanish before I get there to help me
    make the most of Central and South America...

Adios... ok I know... pretty basic but it's a start!!!
    I can highly recommend the Michel Thomas CD's for Spanish....they really helped me...and trust me...you need a bit of the basics!! Brazil is a lot more tricky, and I was completely flumoxed there!!! But its fun!!!
    Chile is great as well, but as a backpacker, expensive...lots of lovely red wine though!!

Have fun!!!
    EOI submitted 9th April 2007
    EOI drawn 11th April 2007
    ITA received May 8th 2007
    ITA received by NZIS June 1st 2007
    PR approved by NZIS June 19th 2007

Arrived in Auckland August 23rd 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast