Thread: I guess it's about time

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Talking I guess it's about time

I must admit, I don’t think I’ve ever introduced myself on here so perhaps I’d better set an example and rectify that – not that there’s much you don’t already know about me.

Married with 2 sons, one in NZ (Hi Taffy ) and one in the UK who would rather be somewhere else, preferably the Middle East with us.
    Have 2 cats Chunky and Purdey which wasn’t planned, but that’s often how it goes out here.
    Been living abroad nearly 10 years with hubster’s job as an engineer in the oil and gas industry. We’ve lived in Kuwait, Syria, Qatar and now Oman and been close neighbours to 2 wars in Iraq, which was very ‘interesting’ .
    Hoping to be sponsored for immigration by Taffy when he’s held his PR for 3 years, which should be after August 2008. Timing will be critical because we hope to tie in with hubster’s retirement plans.
    I’m renowned on the forum for having weird PC and Internet problems from time to time, so just ignore me when I start up because ‘It’s just you Bear’ as Taffy helpfully points out .
    I’m an arty crafty sort of person although haven’t had time to do much lately.

So, nothing very interesting there, but at least I’ve done it now . Anything I've missed, Taffy?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Yes, strange addiction to all things Smiley.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Oh yes, I conveniently forgot about that. I'd be nothing without my smileys.

Mother Bear

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hey MB.

Nice intro. I've been on here since last year and never realised that any of you were related just thought you were all really friendly and new each other through the forum.

Your smiles are great MB they always brighten up the threads.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ebianca View Post
    I've been on here since last year and never realised that any of you were related just thought you were all really friendly and new each other through the forum.
    Funny old world, isn't it? I only got into joining the forum because I had a question I wanted Taffy to ask on my behalf as I wasn't a member then. He more or less told me to do it myself , so I joined up and did just that. The rest is history. Taffy got very busy with work, so I got drawn into helping answer queries etc. not knowing the first thing about immigration (not much different now, eh? ).

So, yes, Taffy's my son (whether you'll get him to admit it is another thing ) and I'm WG's monster-in-law .

Glad you like the smileys although I'm sure Taffy would tell you not to encourage me.
    Mother Bear

tia_rhymes is offline Junior Member

Hey MB... all sons tell everyone not to encourage the mothers.... somethings just dont change.

Was wonderful to hear about you and sorry that you were in a country close to 2 wars.... the fear... and the misery of knowing that you are close to all those who are suffering can not be classed as funny or good.

My thoughts are with you and hope that all things tie in well, for when you do move.... who knows.... I may see you there sometime... you and Taffy have been great by sending me the links to help me with proceeding.

However.... reading those conditions.... I may have to delay my application.... cause I cannot for atleast 2 years live in NZ for a duration of 6months.... Work and all that.

We'll see how things go though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tia_rhymes View Post
    Was wonderful to hear about you and sorry that you were in a country close to 2 wars.... the fear... and the misery of knowing that you are close to all those who are suffering can not be classed as funny or good.
    Thanks Tia.

We were in Kuwait when the Americans and Brits were shelling Iraq over the top of us (from warships on the sea) and there were many scary moments not helped by my poor mother screaming down the phone at me because I wasn't heading home like all the other expat women. Other companies and embassies were shipping their womenfolk out, but hubster's company was too tight to pay for me to go and I wouldn't have left him anyway, so I stayed. Staying there with all that going on around us (armed soldiers guarding the expat residential blocks etc.and guns everywhere) brought people together so, while it was a frightening time, there were good friendships forged as well.

The second time war broke out was when we were in Damascus and was when Sadam was well and truly knocked off his perch. That was very difficult because many Iraqis had fled to Syria and were living around us. There was a lot of bad stuff on TV there because the war was broadcast with a strong Arab bias so all the really gory stuff popped up in glorious technicolour to show what we westerners were doing to their people. Arabs aren't shy about showing such things unedited and this just made the situation worse. We felt really bad, yet knew we had no power to change things. Again, I could have gone home with the other women but I wouldn't have gone anyway although most companies forced their womenfolk to go, which was upsetting. There were some sticky moments, but it wasn't so bad in the end and was another of life's experiences that I can drone on about in places like NZ immigration forums and bore people to death.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Whatever you do, don't mention the time you had the guns put to your heads. People will begin to wonder about you.

If only that was a joke, eh Bear?!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Ah, those were the days. If only my poor long-suffering mother had known about THAT. I have to say, one gets used to having a gun at the head after the first couple of times. We became celebs within the expat community as well as an oddity because we just seemed to attract that sort of attention without really trying. After the third time it happened, I began to believe it might be a good idea if we stayed home more.

Life has been very quiet since we left Syria in that respect apart from the 2 bullet holes through our lounge window last year.
    Mother Bear

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Talking

What a crazy life...I feel very boring in contrast... But has to be said, rather you then me... Sorry about the Taffy buisness...we all have our burdens to bare... At least you got a great Welsh girl for a daughter-in-law...