Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all

RedAlligator is offline Member

Smile Hello all

hello everyone

Thought about time I introduced myself to everyone and said hello.

I have been living in Auckland with my Kiwi hubby for past 5 years and so far absolutly love it. Not sure what it is about New Zealand but have done a few things here that I am pretty sure I would never have done in the UK. May be just brings out the best in people, I dont know!

I am originally from London, well to be honest from Essex and will always have a soft spot for the place but NZ is home now.

Sooo, look forward to chatting with you all.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi RedAlligator (interesting username )

Welcome to MoveToNz.

It's heartening to hear you say you're enjoying NZ so much, especially Auckland, which isn't to everyone's taste, being a big city. 5 years of NZ experience will be very valuable on this forum for those about to make the move and those who are newly arrived and who have a wealth of questions to ask. Any comments or pointers you have on Auckland, NZ or anything else will be very welcome.

Stick around and make yourself at home.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Hi Redalligator...so wonderful to know someone has lived in AKL for five years and is still loving it! We, my best mate Shellbda and I are hoping to move to NZ in July 2008. We are trying to steer clear of AKL because it seems so big and expensive. Is it really expensive to live there and are jobs hard to find? I work in the hospitality industry as a General Manager and I'm hoping to find a comparative job over there. We are flying into AKL this July to see the Bledisoe Cup match between All Blacks and Wallabies, so will be there for a few days. My mate owns the Kingslander, so we'll be hanging out there mostly if you fancy meeting up for a drink.

Cheers...Come on AB's!

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Welcome to the forum! When my best mate Bermy Girl says "my mate owns the Kingslander", unfortunately she does not mean me although with my now dark reputation on this forum (I started off as an angel) I don't think it would surprise anyone here if I owned a bar, never mind the Kingslander!

I DON'T DRINK, MUCH!

Shell

Thank you very much for the warm welcome everyone. Ok will tell you about my user name. I used to have a goldfish when I was about 7 called RedAlligator which was actually named after a winning horse. For some reason my Dad got me to watch some horses races on the TV on a Saturday and he placed bets on for me on the horses that I liked the best and I just liked the name. Anyway, Red Alligator won every race he ran in so that was it for me, my goldfish got the lucky name. So a bit of nostalgia for me really.

If anyone has anything they need to know about Auckland, please feel free to ask but I warn you I am totally biased as I love Auckland. But saying that, I am a city girl though and could never live anywhere outside of city life.

Bermy Girl you asked about Auckland being more expensive and to be honest I had to ask my OH his opinion on that as I just dont notice it being expensive but thats most probably because I have never lived anywhere in NZ besides AKL so have nothing to compare it to. He reckons AKL can be more expensive than other places and I suppose the biggest thing would be property prices would be more expensive here. But I wouldnt dismiss it out of hand though as there are affordable places to be had here, its just knowing where to look and if you needed any help with that, can help there. As for jobs, well to be honest in the industry your in, I really dont think you will have any problems at all. The hospitality industry here is booming. My brother in law has been in hospitality for most of his working life and he never had any problems and his CV would have been incredibly patchy, considering he had so many jobs! But every time he left one, he always got another one pretty quickly. So I dont think you would have any problems at all there. If you did decide to come to Auckland, I could always ask him if he still has any contacts that he knows off who might be able to help.

Would love to meet up with you when you come over in July. I know the Kingslander, never been there as its "on the other side" to where I live but still not a problem for us to get to. So that would be great, just let me know when you get here. Enjoy the Bledisloe cup, I have never been to a Bledisloe cup game and might even try to get tickets ourselves. Seen quite a few AB games but just not the Bledisloe cup ones as the tickets go so damn quicky normally. Go the ABs

Ok, I have rambled enough now and thanks again for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by RedAlligator View Post
    Would love to meet up with you when you come over in July. I know the Kingslander, never been there as its "on the other side" to where I live but still not a problem for us to get to. So that would be great, just let me know when you get here. Enjoy the Bledisloe cup, I have never been to a Bledisloe cup game and might even try to get tickets ourselves. Seen quite a few AB games but just not the Bledisloe cup ones as the tickets go so damn quicky normally. Go the ABs

Ok, I have rambled enough now and thanks again for the welcome.
    Hey RedAlligator, thanks for the info on AKL and the hospitality industry, it gives me great hope for finding a job. AKL is not my first choice, but if that's where the job is, that's where I will be!

I've never been to an AB's match, it's always been a dream of mine, life is too short to put dreams off for another day! If you want, we could try and get you some tickets if you want, we have a few connections in the rugby community, which we arae relying on. I think we're going to have a bit of a late one at the Kingslander on the Friday, July 20th, with a bunch of the guys we know in AKL. Over the years we have made many friends out of the Classic AB's that come to Bermuda every year for the World Rugby Classic, so we are hoping to meet up with a bunch of them that night and I always say the more the merrier!!... Is your OH a big fan of rugby? He would probably get a bit of a kick out of it, as there should be a few of the older retired players there...not that I would say they are old, but they are not recently retired, if that makes anay sense!!!! I'm so excited, I'm bouncing off the walls and having trouble stringing sentences together...

It would be great to meet you

OMG OMG!! I'm so excited, I cant breathe! How fantastic. 1. We would love it if you were able to get us tickets for the game, wow that would be fantastic. Just let me know what you need from me or what you need me to do 2. would love to join you on the Friday before the game, if you didnt mind. OMG to meet some classic ABs, I'm sorry, I'm just hyperventilating at the thought. My OH would certainly get a kick out of it (his a huge rugby fan) but not half as much as me! Who do you know - I know quite a few of the players, well not personally but I know who they are as been supporting the ABs for a while now. I know how you feel re bouncing off the walls and sentences, I feel the same!! My hearts fluttering at the thought of it all!

So yes please. It would be lovely to meet you.

If you need any info re Auckland or you need any info for your trip over, please do not hesitate to ask as will be very happy to help with anything I can.

Thank you.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedAlligator View Post
    OMG OMG!! I'm so excited, I cant breathe! How fantastic.
    So.......... would that be a 'Yes' then?

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Happy to know I'm not the only one who gets excited by rugby!! I shall do my best to get you two tickets. Hopefully on the Friday night there will be a few of the boys in attendance, I shall PM you some of the names. It will be great to meet you and have a laugh, the boys are very down to earth and love a chance for a "Dark n' Stormy" (Bermuda Black Rum and Ginger Beer). I shall let you know how plans progress as we get closer to the time...

Come on AB's

Don't forget to breathe though...

Quote Originally Posted by Bermy Girl View Post
    Happy to know I'm not the only one who gets excited by rugby!! I shall do my best to get you two tickets. Hopefully on the Friday night there will be a few of the boys in attendance, I shall PM you some of the names. It will be great to meet you and have a laugh, the boys are very down to earth and love a chance for a "Dark n' Stormy" (Bermuda Black Rum and Ginger Beer). I shall let you know how plans progress as we get closer to the time...

Come on AB's

Don't forget to breathe though...
    No your certainly not the only one thats gets excited about rugby, I absolutly love it and am just hanging out for the world cup. Looking forward to the first ABs game this Saturday against France.

And your right I do have to try and remember to breathe Phew, there you go breathing again.

Never heard of a dark n stormy, sounds interesting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast