Thread: Hi All

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Hi All

My OH, myself & two sons are hoping to move to NZ September 2008. OH is still deciding

We hope to settle in the South Island probably near Dunedin but not actually in the town. Any info on this area and suggestions of places to live that are not too big or heavily populated would be great.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Nicky and a big to the forum.

Our Macfod lives in Dunedin and rates it highly. He's just started up a vegetarian cafe there so is in the thick of it. I don't know if he'll look up this far in the introductions, but perhaps you'd like to post a general question about Dunedin in the Locations/Properties category, which might catch his eye better. There's a couple of others in South Island who might also be familiar with Dunedin.

It must be a bit difficult for you to make plans if you're OH is still undecided about going. If you're not thinking of going until next year, at least you've got a bit of time to sway him. What do you think is holding him back? Perhaps we can help him to swing him towards NZ. Only joking.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi Mother Bear, thanks for the welcome.

OH is still deciding 'cos he is the cautious one and wants to make sure we have researched everything first. He wants to make sure we can survive on my wages (I am a nurse) without the deperate need for him to find work immediately as well as cover the initial moving costs and all the visa applications etc... I have now shown him a budget that I feel has covered almost everything but there are sonethings you cannot account for. Still working on him though.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    I have now shown him a budget that I feel has covered almost everything but there are sonethings you cannot account for.
    You've got your head screwed on the right way so, if you do your research thoroughly, there shouldn't be any nasty shocks coming your way. Any particular questions you have, just give us a shout.

I think persuading hubby may be down to you though. Good luck with that one.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Welcome Nickydwuk! Just out of curiosity has your OH ever been to NZ? I have found that once mates of mine have been there they completely understand my desire to move there and in fact, most of them are now looking to move there as well. Mind you, they haven't been offered non-paying jobs to dig holes in paddocks... It's such a wonderful country though and the people are great...I cant wait myseelf, we arae planning to move in July 2008. Good Luck