Thread: Hope to be Moving in January 2017

edeland is offline Junior Member

Red face Hope to be Moving in January 2017

Hi All,
    My husband and I are planning to move to beautiful NZ come January 2017. My husband's degree allows for us to go over on a shortage skill residency visa. We will be moving from USA and are struggling to figure out where to begin with packing (shipping taxes, what is best to sell and repurchase), exploring health insurance options, the ole' chicken or the egg (move prior to getting a job or hopefully job once we are there), etc. Curious what helpful tips you all can provide us from your stories and immigrations. Glad to have found this site.

With Joy,
    Jessica & Travis

Migration Planner is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by edeland View Post
    Hi All,
    My husband and I are planning to move to beautiful NZ come January 2017. My husband's degree allows for us to go over on a shortage skill residency visa. We will be moving from USA and are struggling to figure out where to begin with packing (shipping taxes, what is best to sell and repurchase), exploring health insurance options, the ole' chicken or the egg (move prior to getting a job or hopefully job once we are there), etc. Curious what helpful tips you all can provide us from your stories and immigrations. Glad to have found this site.

With Joy,
    Jessica & Travis
    Hi Jess and Travis, did you make the move over here yet? I think you are talking about the skilled migrant visa so are likley to need a job offer first especially under the new rules. We are helping lore and more people move from the USA and one of our clients recommended contour logistics for shipping goods. They will usually tell you what you can or can't ship. Most property here in NZ is unfurnished if you are renting so you have to ask if your furniture will fit or you may wnat to sell it first. Also check out websites like trademe.co.nz to see the price of things in New Zealand plus rental properties and jobs. Banks in NZ can open accountants for you and then activate them when you arrive. That Chicken and Egg scenario is something you have to go through and the secret is to remove the barriers between you and the employers. Send me a private message and I will see if I can point you in the right direction