Thread: it's all for love

Steph Louden is offline Junior Member

Exclamation it's all for love

Hey there, I'm steph.
    i literally just got done college (last class was today) majoring in graphic design. i have been with my boyfriend for about 5 years now and i live here in the USA, and he lives there in NZ. we both are very young and have not had time or luxury to save for our future (we decided I will move there), and i really want to move asap. the problem is i don't know where to begin and also if anywhere would want to hire me. i love designing and my range is extremely broad so i hope those skills will help me, but i really just want to move there for him to support us so we can move out together. if anyone can help me in any way with any of this, please let me know!
    thanks!
    -Steph

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

Steph Louden

A possible place to start is seek.co.nz. It is an nz job website. Look to see if there are any jobs you think you can do. Even contact the employer and tell them you are just researching if your skill-set is needed in nz. If it is a recruiter, even better, as they will know the market for your skills and can give you some real insight as to employment possibilities. If you get as few positive hits you can come to nz and look for something for real. If you don't find anything it should tell you something as well.

Depending on where your boy friend is located will have an impact. The bigger the city the bigger and wider the skill set need. The smaller the city the narrower the local skill set requirement.

This method won't cost any money and be very informative to you. Job experience will carry a lot of weight. hopefully you have some, the more the better. If you only have school experience in the area it will be a lot more difficult to find a position as they can find local kiwi's with no experience just out of school.

Hope it helps, best of luck.
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-05-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Steph Louden is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Steph Louden

A possible place to start is seek.co.nz. It is an nz job website. Look to see if there are any jobs you think you can do. Even contact the employer and tell them you are just researching if your skill-set is needed in nz. If it is a recruiter, even better, as they will know the market for your skills and can give you some real insight as to employment possibilities. If you get as few positive hits you can come to nz and look for something for real. If you don't find anything it should tell you something as well.

Depending on where your boy friend is located will have an impact. The bigger the city the bigger and wider the skill set need. The smaller the city the narrower the local skill set requirement.

This method won't cost any money and be very informative to you. Job experience will carry a lot of weight. hopefully you have some, the more the better. If you only have school experience in the area it will be a lot more difficult to find a position as they can find local kiwi's with no experience just out of school.

Hope it helps, best of luck.
    Thanks for the quick reply Cliff!
    I will get right on with the seek.co.nz site to see what they have. He lives in the Auckland area and I know it is expensive, is there any amount you think//recommend that I save up to in order to make it? (we have worked out that he will find somewhere and pay for half the down payment, and i would pay for the other half) we are assuming ~20k each, does this seem high? low? about right? (sorry I have a lot of questions, i'm really excited that this next chapter is beginning since I got done college! =))

-Steph

glenda71 is offline Member

hi & welcome!