Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterinarian thinking of moving to NZ

TraceyL is offline Junior Member

Default Veterinarian thinking of moving to NZ

Hi- I am a married 41 year old veterinarian from the US (Alabama). My husband is a Conservation Enforcement Offier (Game Warden) with the state. We have 2 children 10 and 6. Does anyone know how the veterinary market is in NZ. I understand it is one of the jobs on the long term shortage lists but I am not sure how that translates into job opportunities available. What areas should I focus on looking for employment. We would prefer to not be in a larger city if at all possible but a medium size city or town would be good. Is my husband's job on the skilled migrant worker list? I saw Park Ranger so I was not sure if it would be considered the same.

I read how excellent the school system is in NZ and it is one reason I think it would be such a good move for us. My son is gifted but he also has Asperger's. He attends a private school here in the states. Also do the schools provide special services for children? Will this prevent him from being granted admittance and eventually residency.

Finally we have pet's we will bring with us should I go ahead and start the process for their transport (since it takes so long) before I am granted a skilled migrant workers visa and found a job? I know there is a very specific and tight timeline for geting your pet's over there.

Thank you for any info that can be offered up.

Tracey

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

TraceyL

A vet is a highly respected profession here especially in the rural sector. If your desire is to be in a smaller place you are in luck big time but think farm animals more than house pets. Vet school is difficult to get get into here and even harder to pass.

I can't help you on the pets aspect. On the asperger's side I don't think most schools have much but not sure on that. I do know several adults with asperger's who get support from the social welfare system to lead a normal life in terms of care givers.

A park ranger is maybe more often about tourism that wild life protection but there is an element of it. Look at something like a Fishery Officer: Fishery Officer: How to get into this job - Careers New Zealand or DOC (Department of Conversation) jobs.

I hope I was of some help. Based on what you have shared I am sure you will have no problem gaining residency. Jump that ship USS Titanic before it goes under.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Default Thank you Cliff

Thank you for your information. It has been awhile since I have done large animal medicine but not completely opposed to it. I own my own small animal practice here so that is what i know best. I am a small town girl so we would be very happy in more rural settings. It would be nice if i could find a mixed practice (small/large). How are the property prices in the smaller towns and rural areas. It seems kinda pricey in some of the other areas I have looked at. Also how do the local farmers feel about women vets? (Especially foreign women vets)

Are american children well accepted by their peers? I have read on here that it may be difficult to make friends so I wondered f this was true for kids as well.

Blog Entries

Cool

TraceyL

Property will be cheaper in the small towns than the big cities. Check trademe.co.nz and realestate.co.nz. Property isn't cheap here. Women vets, like all men you have to gain their respect then you are golden. Yank (American) women vets won't be an any different. All women come from the same planet according to most men here, lol. Once you gain their respect they will fight for, protect, and take care of you as you are a part of them being profitable. You will be welcomed into the community almost like royalty, small town thing again, everybody knows everything about everybody in a small town.

Kids are kids, no issue about foreigners, they don't even know what that is. In a smaller town you will be a novelty as most new immigrants end up in the city. Your kids will pick up and talk in the kiwi accent fast, faster than you or your husband. Learn some kiwi slang: New Zealand language or listen to web radio: Listen - Wellington - Regions - The Breeze

You will be quicker accepted because of the importance of your job and the fact you have kids. Kids and people with kids are treated better here. Not like lepers in the USA. Do you remember when your kids were real young and you would go to a restaurant and get the table at the back next to the kitchen? Not here. Air NEW Zealand give kids their meals first on the planes before the adults. Can you imagine that on a US airplane? You would have a riot on the plane by the frequent flyers. Does that tell you something about kiwis? Kids are our future and we know it. Do you know about the anti smacking law here? You can't hit or spank your own kids, ever, it is a legal offense.

Feel free to ask away.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand

Default EOI preliminarily 155.

I started filling out the EOI and the points total was 155. Possible 165 if I find a job outside of the Aukland area which is what we were hoping for. Cannot submit it yet because we have not got our passports. I don't suppose it can be submitted if they are applied for can it? What can I expect once it is submitted since the points total is over 140?

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TraceyL View Post
    What can I expect once it is submitted since the points total is over 140?
    '']
    Tracey

A long wait. Congrats on the submission decision. That isn't a commitment just a decision to look further.

Best of luck.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand

Default Lol

Haha Thanks!

Well be careful what you wish for you just might get it! I asked my less than enthusiastic hubby to get on board and research moving to NZ. Well as luck would have it he has stumbled upon some horribly negative site and now has totally freaked. Talking about rampant meth labs, high teenage suicide, people dying from retched medical care and the craziest thing of all is not being able to leave if you don't like it there!! Like we would be held hostage. So now I am not sure if we are going to make a go of it

Blog Entries

Cool

Tracey

A lot of people think New York city is the best place in the world to live and brag on about it. I would rather be shot than live there. Myself I normally look for the bad stuff as the good stuff is easy to find. You can find good or bad on anything on the internet. Just do the research, the preponderance of evidence will prevail. Trust your gut to do what is right for you and your family.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand

Default Very Sad Day.

In the past 1 1/2 weeks wack jobs have shot up a mall in Oregon and now 20 babies were murdered at their school in a small town in Conneticut that is supposed to be safe. We are not talking about New York or LA these are supposed to be low key safe towns. I just cannot stay here (US) any longer if my husband cannot see that this country is in a downward spiral then heaven help him but I am getting my kids out of here before I see our small town on CNN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast