Thread: Hello- here from US x 18 months

baj
    baj is offline Junior Member

Cool Hello- here from US x 18 months

Hi there-
    I have lived in the Northland for the past 18 months, moving from the US. I'm here to help if anyone has questions or concerns. My family's experience has been a very positive one. We knew little about NZ before we arrived here and have been very pleasantly surprised. We came in response to a job offer so, of course, that helped simplify our immigration process. We are permanent residents. My 8 year old is in a year 3/4 class in a small coastal community. NZ schools rate 7th worldwide, compared to US's rating of 22nd worldwide- yet our son goes to school barefoot every day, comes home covered in dirt, enjoys art and music and hour long lunch periods. He is thriving and soaks this experience up as if THIS is the life children should be offered. He catches and releases eels in the tidal stream in our back yard, helps me with our 2 horses and our dog, rides his bike to the park, or plays in the pohutakawa tree overhanging the sea. His school has a dolphin bell to call the kids out of school if dolphins are spotted. They do cross country training on the sand dunes across the street and their swimming lessons are in the estuary. We feel safe and secure. People are as nice to us as we are to them; we've been thrilled with the open minded and alternative thinking folks in our community (alternative thinking for US- norm for here), the artists, mind-body-spirit minded folks. Great food with little additives. The increase cost of groceries and gas is offset by our simplified life.

We had no expectations and have been very pleasantly surprised. There is beach after beautiful beach and hike after amazing hike. NZ is a haven for children and lovers of the great outdoors.

Of course life is always full of bumps and surprises, but if you are at peace with yourself and a generally happy person and are not being held against your will , New Zealand might just suit you fine. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

robfrnkx is offline Junior Member

Default thank you

thank you for taking the time to post this im a single father with a 14 yr old daughter im looking to move to NZ next year if you have any advise for me that would be great im still trying to figure out the whole visa thing and getting a job any help you could send my way would be great again thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by baj View Post
    Hi there-
    I have lived in the Northland for the past 18 months, moving from the US. I'm here to help if anyone has questions or concerns. My family's experience has been a very positive one. We knew little about NZ before we arrived here and have been very pleasantly surprised. We came in response to a job offer so, of course, that helped simplify our immigration process. We are permanent residents. My 8 year old is in a year 3/4 class in a small coastal community. NZ schools rate 7th worldwide, compared to US's rating of 22nd worldwide- yet our son goes to school barefoot every day, comes home covered in dirt, enjoys art and music and hour long lunch periods. He is thriving and soaks this experience up as if THIS is the life children should be offered. He catches and releases eels in the tidal stream in our back yard, helps me wiyou foth our 2 horses and our dog, rides his bike to the park, or plays in the pohutakawa tree overhanging the sea. His school has a dolphin bell to call the kids out of school if dolphins are spotted. They do cross country training on the sand dunes across the street and their swimming lessons are in the estuary. We feel safe and secure. People are as nice to us as we are to them; we've been thrilled with the open minded and alternative thinking folks in our community (alternative thinking for US- norm for here), the artists, mind-body-spirit minded folks. Great food with little additives. The increase cost of groceries and gas is offset by our simplified life.

We had no expectations and have been very pleasantly surprised. There is beach after beautiful beach and hike after amazing hike. NZ is a haven for children and lovers of the great outdoors.

Of course life is always full of bumps and surprises, but if you are at peace with yourself and a generally happy person and are not being held against your will , New Zealand might just suit you fine. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

baj

Nice post. The thing is, NZ is not like the USA, thank god. It can change you if you accept it like the bending of a blade of grass, as you hardly notice it.

I have been here a while now and still consider myself lucky to be here. I am a better person for being here. Although I don't have any children I have always felt it's the best country to raise a family.
    Last edited by Cliff; 05-11-2012 at 05:34 AM.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

1ne2woBe is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the GREAT read! I have just considered moving to NZ and had just joined the forums today. Your thread was so nice to read. I am single, no children, and have lived in California all my life (except for years in military). Perhaps I should make my own introduction thread? LOL

Regarding the cost of food/gas, where did you live prior to moving to NZ? I am just hoping I may be used to the 'high' prices due to living in CA.

Thanks Baj!

TraceyL is offline Junior Member

Default Veterinarian needed?

Hi- I am a married 41 year old veterinarian from the US (Alabama). My husband is a Conservation Enforcement Offier (Game Warden) with the state. We have 2 children 10 and 6. Does anyone know how the veterinary market is in NZ. I understand it is one of the jobs on the long term shortage lists but I am not sure how that translates into job opportunities available. What areas should I focus on looking for employment. We would prefer to not be in a larger city if at all possible but a medium size city or town would be good. Is my husband's job on the skilled migrant worker list? I saw Park Ranger so I was not sure if it would be considered the same.

I read how excellent the school system is in NZ and it is one reason I think it would be such a good move for us. My son is gifted but he also has Asperger's. He attends a private school here in the states. Also do the schools provide special services for children? Will this prevent him from being granted admittance and eventually residency.

Finally we have pet's we will bring with us should I go ahead and start the process for their transport (since it takes so long) before I am granted a skilled migrant workers visa and found a job? I know there is a very specific and tight timeline for geting your pet's over there.

Thank you for any info that can be offered up.

Tracey