Thread: Hello from the US

HollyTaylor is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from the US

Hi everyone! My name is Holly and it has always been a dream of mine to move my family and I to New Zealand. I am a Massage Therapist working on my nursing degree. My husband is a Master Tattoo Artist here. We live in Omaha, Nebraska-right in the heartland of the US. We have 2 children, a 6 month old son and a 10 year old daughter. I am hoping that once I finish nursing school, we can start looking for our forever home, preferably located in New Zealand :) I have so many questions to ask, that it is hard to know where to start. Which is how I stumbled across this forum. I guess my main question (for now) would be what career/educational backgrounds are in demand in New Zealand? And how hard would it be for a nurse/massage therapist and a tattoo artist to find employment?

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

Nursing is a winner but you need your nursing certification not just training. No offense tattoo artist's we have plenty of.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

HollyTaylor is offline Junior Member

Yes I will be getting my Registered Nursing certification. I'm not anticipating for either of us to get rich living in NZ, just the opportunity to make a living for our family. Understandably downsizing our salary is expected. My husband is also skilled in framing, carpentry, and remodeling; he worked as a foreman for a construction company for 15 years previous to tattooing. So he could do either, whichever will help grant us citizenship.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

Holly

You won't get rich but you will have a rich life.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

baj
    baj is offline Junior Member

Default hey

hey hollie-

i just introduce myself in a thread if you want to learn a bit more about me. i'm from the US and have been in the far north for 18 months. we rented for a year and bought a house a couple months ago.

nursing would be good to get over here, but do your homework. i've talked to a few nurses from england that had a bit of a hassle getting their licenses transferred, etc. you might want to start communicating with the NZ nursing reg folks just to make sure you get your bases covered. medical jobs are always a priority (my husband's field). if you both get over here on your own, then your husband would probably get a work visa as well and tat. i was issued a work visa although i haven't worked-- it was part of the process for going for permanent residency from the very beginning. smartest thing we ever did was hire a immigration consultant. we used paul eggleton in russell. he would probably answer some kick of questions for you; his help was invaluable.

best of luck and holler if you have any thing you'd like to ask me!

becky