Thread: Hi Everybody!

Katarina is offline Junior Member

Default Hi Everybody!

Hi Everybody.

I'm new here. My name is Katarina and I live in Sweden with my four grown up children (16-21)on our farm. We are thinking of moving to New Zealand and start a riding business over there. At least that is what we long to do. We've never been to NZ but we are really keen on going there because of the nature and location. Still, there are of course many questions yet to be answered.

We would also like to bring our dogs, cats and some horses but have difficultis finding out both the cost and way to do it.

So far we belive we are planing on living in the Nelson area. Allthough that is still to early to know for sure.

Would be happy for any reply.

Best regards Katarina

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Katarina, welcome to MTNZ.

Moving to NZ is not just a matter of deciding to go there to live and work as you would need to comply with several strict requirements to be able to apply for an appropriate visa. If you want to start your own business, have you looked at this? You would need to provide a business plan and show that you have previous experience in running a similar business.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Also, be aware that the population of Nelson (the city) is under 43,000 and the district around it (Tasman District and Nelson Region) and has a population of under 45,000, many of which are a couple of hours drive away from Nelson (city). The population density outside the Nelson urban area is similar to that of the far north of Sweden. This means there is not a huge demand for a lot of riding businesses in the area, and you would need to target yours very carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi Katarina, welcome to MTNZ.

Moving to NZ is not just a matter of deciding to go there to live and work as you would need to comply with several strict requirements to be able to apply for an appropriate visa. If you want to start your own business, have you looked at this? You would need to provide a business plan and show that you have previous experience in running a similar business.
    Hi MotherBear and thanks for the reply!

And also thank you for the link. Most useful. Yes, we've been looking on these pages for some time now. We do understand that we canīt just move to another country without a plan for how to survive but we already have a business going in Sweden. What we want is to practise it in NZ. Accually we dream of making NZ more reachable for Scandinavian and European travelllers including horses doing so. Also be a bridge for NZ to Europe. Introducing european food and culture in NZ as for introducing NZ food and culture to travellers from all around the world visiting NZ. We also have grate skills in horses and belive NZ has there own wildponnys that might need some skills breaking in and later on given a bigger knowabout through out the world. We belive it takes about a year getting started in a new place but many things are made much easier nowadays with the internet. People prefure sitting at home reading on the net before turning plans to reality in where to go on the next holiday. Our strengt is that we can provide them these information in there own language. Maybe we also see things differently from NZ people themselves. We know what scandinavian people are looking for and we know what they prefer and not prefer. We do belive we something to give otherways we wouldn't have got this Idea in the first place. Really hard sitting Sweden doing plans for NZ when one hasn't even been there. Allthough I belive people are best on what they enjoy doing.

Red quite much about NZ both on the net and in books. Just havenīt found a scandinavian that already done the move we plan to do. Would really want to know how their thoughts are today and what they think we should be thinking of before taking plans to action.

Please feel free to visit our ridingcompany in Sweden. This how it works back here today. The question is would it work in NZ as well?

hast-ponny.se - www.hast-ponny.se

best regards Katarina
    Last edited by Katarina; 18-04-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Default Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by People Space View Post
    Also, be aware that the population of Nelson (the city) is under 43,000 and the district around it (Tasman District and Nelson Region) and has a population of under 45,000, many of which are a couple of hours drive away from Nelson (city). The population density outside the Nelson urban area is similar to that of the far north of Sweden. This means there is not a huge demand for a lot of riding businesses in the area, and you would need to target yours very carefully.
    Thank you Poeple Space for your reply,

didn't acctually know the population of Nelson so glad you updated me on that. Well we didt'n really want to start our business only on NZ riders coming from hometown. That would more be a side income and mayby most of all a way to get in to the new zealand way of living/being and also letting NZ people have a chance to ride european horses. After all they do go on vacation themselves I'm sure.

We aim for visiters from all around the world visiting NZ and wanting to learn more about it, maybe explore NZ from the back of a horse, having fun at the same time. We are all very interested in nature and would love to explore NZ nature from top to buttom. We really have a difficult time not being able to do so right now. We would then love to spred our wisedom around the world to the tourist that came to our little ranch in Nelson. With the great bay and national park on our doorstep. This is how we dream but as I said, we still haven't been to NZ and we still have a long way to go.

But still I see you point of view and I apreachate your reply. We have study NZ for some time now. The choose of Nelson come from the knowledge that a riding company needs long season with good weather and good grasing. It's a outdoor activity and which mostly attract people if they are allowed to enjoy the weather aswell. Also we belive the bay of Tasman could be more explored and in a new way. As you said very few live there year around but I know from reading that very many tourist visit the Abel Tasman National Park. We would love to guide them and give a total knowledge of the area than today possible. I also belive it might be in NZ best interest that we focus on a place on the southern island since its not that populated.

Best regards Katarina
    Last edited by Katarina; 18-04-2012 at 07:03 AM.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Hi Katarina,

I did not mean to imply your business could not work, just that things are very different here from highly populated areas such as Europe...I enjoy horse riding and have done it in the Tasman district.

I found you some information on riding in Conservation land. New Zealand native Forest is not suited to horses as it evolved without grazing mammals, so they cannot be taken into many of our native reserves. They carry seed of weeds and their hooves damage fragile surface root systems that are not evolved to cope with them. There are special requirements for taking them into the areas they are allowed on conservation land.
    Horse riding track: Track categories

Department of Conservation (DOC) approved riding facilities, can take horses on to some DOC land (reserves etc) (but not all - Abel Tasman tracks are not accessible to horses, nor are most National Parks.)
    Guides and commercial tourism providers: Activity Finder
    Places you can do this activity: Activity finder
    There is an existing riding company that takes horse on the beach at the edges of the Abel Tasman park. So you might be competing with them.
    Pegasus Park New Zealand horse riding at the Abel Tasman National Park

This is a list of some of the riding facilities that cater for tourists in the Nelson area:
    Nelson Horse Riding New Zealand, Nelson Horse Treks New Zealand, Horseback Riding, Horse Back, Equestrian, NZ

It is much easier to get permission to ride on land that is not conservation rated, such as in plantation forests and on farmland, or along beaches.

There is not an old history of horse trails through the new Zealand countryside, so there is not a network of ancient public horse trails like some countries have.

Nelson is a good area for tourism as are many parts of New Zealand, and it does have a good climate.

New Zealand is reputed to be the cheapest place to keep horses in the world, because the climate is not harsh, and they do not need stabling in winter, and the climate is not too hot for good grazing in summer. In fact stables for horses are generally only used for very expensive racing or competitive horses. Most live outside all year, many with a cover if required in winter.

Good luck,
    Ursula.