Thread: Help..Vicious circle

Den1196 is offline Junior Member

Default Help..Vicious circle

Hi everyone, i went travelling around New Zealand a couple of years ago and fell in love with the place. Whilst i was over there i did try and apply for some jobs, but was told i needed a visa. I have also been told that in order to get a visa i need a job offer....a bit of a vicious circle

I am now back in the UK and as keen as ever to move to NZ. I am unfortunately 37 years old and obviously too old to go on a working visa holiday, but would like to know the best route to getting a job and living over in NZ. I am a chartered accountant and have over 15 years accounts experience. We are starting to complete an expression of interest. Are we going down the right channel?

My initial thoughts was to keep applying for jobs and hopefully someone would offer me a job and that would help with any visa applications. Unfortunately, i have had very little response. Any guidance would be appreciated

Many thanks,

Den

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Den

The job title of Chartered Accountant doesn't appear on the Long Term Skills Shortage List, therefore, there is no direct route to getting residency in NZ. It does appear on the Immediate Skills Shortage List but only for senior positions. The required criteria for this is:
    Qualifications recognised by the New Zealand
    Institute of Chartered Accountants
    AND/OR completion of the Chartered Accountant examinations
    AND three years’ relevant experience

This explains a bit about the shortages lists. If you hold a senior position as an accountant, you would be able to apply for a work visa only, and then only if you can manage to get a job offer, so, not an easy task . Any employer would need to convince INZ that no suitable kiwi can be found to fill the position and that this is ongoing before an application for residency can be considered.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.