Thread: Hello Everyone

Jason1 is offline Junior Member

Default Hello Everyone

Hello there

My name is Jason and I'm currently entering my third year of university along with my girlfriend, with the hopes and intention of moving to New Zealand once we have graduated next year.

Basically we feel like small fish in a big ocean. There is so much research to be done and planning that we can't quite get our heads around, so we hoped that some of you guys would be able to help us in achieving our dream.

First off, here's some background. We're both students at the University of Winchester in the UK, with me studying Theatre Practices and Drama and Chloe studying Drama and Arts Management. She also has a degree in communications from a previous uni.

We are really set on permanantely moving to NZ once we graduate as we don't like the way England is going as a country and would like a fresh start. I have intentions of taking a further year of study and becoming a secondary school teacher whereas Chloe would be looking for a career in International Relations and Communications (Or whatever job that will lead her there).

I suppose the question I'm asking is, is it be possible? We have savings and wouldn't be looking to move until October 2012 so plenty of time to continue adding to our coffers, but what with all the different types of visas available we're not quite sure where to start.

Any information will be incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance

Jason

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MTNZ, Jason and congratulations on your decision to move to NZ.

As you may have gathered, if you've been reading through the NZI website, it's not that easy to get to stay in NZ long term or permanently. To stay permanently, you would need a resident's visa. To achieve this, you need jobs skills, qualifications and work experience that fit in with what the country most needs. Other than that you would need to be sponsored by family or set up your own business. These are the most common ways of getting into the country and being able to stay.

I'll post some links first so you can look through to check if you are likely to qualify to apply for residency once your studies are completed.

Quick check to see how the system works and whether you're likely to qualify.
    Essential Skills in Demand Lists. Your occupation/job title needs to appear here to be able to apply directly for residency. There are other ways you can do it e.g. getting a skilled job offer and working your way to residency.

I would mention that, to be a teacher in NZ, you would need to be registered with the Teachers' Council as certain occupations require regstration and, in the case of teachers, I believe 2 years' work experience is also required.

Have a look through all the links and come back with any specific questions you have. Check through the skills lists to see if what you anticipate will be your future job titles appear on there. This is a huge subject so I don't want to bog you down with too much info.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks fo the quick response!

We've had a look through all the links and it was very helpful. I think the course of action we will take is working our way toward residency as we don't have family in the country and any buisness that we will set up wil be way down the line.

In terms of coming straight over to NZ and starting work to begin the process of applying for residency, which would be the best visa to go with? A working holiday visa? Or something else? For the record I'm a UK citizen and I believe that I would be entitled to a 23 month stay on a WHV whereas Chloe is a French citizen so would only be entitled to 12 months, but is there the possibility of getting this extended? Once again, small fish, big ocean.

In terms of the teaching option, I was thinking that it would probably be more sensible to work a year and earn some money for study and then once I was sure that my visa would be good to stay, taking a year and training to teach. That way I wouldn't waste a year getting a degree in the NZ curriculum only to be booted off back to England. What do you think?

Thanks MotherBear

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Welcome Jason & Chloe. As you have seen it is a long and complicated process but worth it once you get there. have either of you been to NZ before? What made you decide on NZ?
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Hello

We decided on NZ after we had both decided that staying in England wasn't an option for us. The way everything is going politically, socially etc we just didn't feel that we could begin our careers here.

We chose NZ after a lot of research into the country and the way of life. Everything seems more chilled out in NZ and it looks like beautiful country to live in. Also, we knew that we had to move to a country that was English speaking and NZ just fit the bill.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

A WHV is fine if you just want to go to NZ to experience the country and earn a bit of money while you're there. It's also useful for placing you in the country where you can go job hunting i.e. for a more permanent job that will help with your residency application or to get a work visa. Other than that, a WHV wouldn't be of much benefit in helping you to get a permanent visa. You really need to concentrate on your choice of qualifications, job skills and skilled job offers which are mentioned on the Essential Skills in Demand Lists as those are what NZ is looking to import.

I don't think it's an option to extend a WHV unless you're British and have gone first for the 12 month visa and want to extend to the 23-month one. You can only extend if you are doing casual work in the horticulture or viticulture industries and that's only for 3 months.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.