Thread: Want to move to NZ

smtheboys is offline Junior Member

Default Want to move to NZ

I am a US high school teacher thinking about moving to NZ. Where to begin? How much will it cost? If I get a Visa to live and work there does my family automatically get one as well? Any start up information would be great at this point...

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

smtheboys

Where to begin? - This website is a good start.
    How much will it cost? - How long is a piece of string? - The actual cost of getting residency is not that large. The cost is actually moving is another thing.
    If I get a Visa to live and work there does my family automatically get one as well? - Yes if you get a residency visa. You would apply as a family.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

thanks for your input I will look in to this further

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

This 'bible' for NZ immigration is the Immigration NZ website. It's not the easiest site to negotiate but, if you start with Apply and Settle and then click on Residence that will give you a start. If you are a qualified teacher with at least a couple of years experience behind you then you have a good chance of qualifying to apply as teaching is a profession that NZ needs and it's on the Long Term Skill Shortage List. Residence is gained by a points system i.e. you get points for certain things like qualifications, work experience, job offer etc. Here's an overview of the process. Make full use of the links on the sides of the page as well and you'll find other useful info e.g. Points indicator and Office and fees finder which should give you an idea of how much it all costs.

I think I'll let you digest this first before bombarding you any further. That way you can come back and ask specific questions.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thank you very much for all the info...it is a lot to think about and plan and research...my husband are planning a trip next summer to make sure this would be the right move for us.. do you know of any programs where families host others from other countries for their visit? We feel if we go and stay in a hotel we won't get the true feel of real life there.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You could look at homestays which means families taking you into their home. Or you could try renting a holiday bach (usually a small bungalow type property) or even an apartment. That would make you more independent and able to take part in the community more. Try searching on the Net for the terms 'bach' or 'homestay' in NZ and see if it matches what you're looking for.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.