Thread: Any help appreciated!!

arctic_phil is offline Junior Member

Default Any help appreciated!!

I am currently 24 and working as an unqualified teacher in the uk. My girl friend and her family are moving to NZ or seriously looking at the prospect of moving to the country in roughly a years time...
    basically I am unsure as to whether I would gain a visa to work in the country and therefore join my girl friend in NZ for the forseeable future or indeed what the best route is to go down.

My vital stats are as follows...

24 years old, no criminal convictions, worked as an unqualified teacher of physical education for three academic years aswell as a football/all sports coach for over six years, degree in Sport and Recreation Development, F.A coaching qualifications

Any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers, Phil

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome Phil!

Hmm, qualifications are very important when submitting an application for residency in NZ if you want to try to get there under your own steam and, as a teacher, you would needed NZ registration. The other way in could be that your girlfriend sponsor you under partnership, but that's not at all straight forward because she first would need to be a resident herself, over 17 and be able to comply with other requirements a sponsor must undertake including being able to support you for the first 2 years in NZ (if necessary). You should also have been living together for the required amount of time to be able to prove a genuine and stable relationship.

You can read about it here (for you) and here (for her). In her link is the applicaton for residency under sponsorship and reading through the partnership part should indicate what is needed. This is the Guide to applying for residency which may be worth having a look through.

With your sporting degree and experience, I don't know how far you could stretch it to apply for this visa.

Before you go through all this agony, do I need to ask if your girlfriend's family has already ascertained that one of them has certain job skills through which they can qualify to apply for residency?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

arctic_phil is offline Junior Member

Default Family

Many thanks for your detailed response... it's much appreciated. With regards to my gfs family I'm pretty sure they tick all the boxes... I know that they have family already living in NZ and both parents have decent jobs/qualifications.

So far as my gf being my sponsor I don't think this would be possible at the moment and I would have to get over on my own steam. I think my best POA would be to apply for a working holiday visa even though I know this would be a short term measure and I would have to return to England...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a plan to me . At least it will buy you some time to decide whether you really would want to live in NZ and what you want to do about your future career if you do want to stay long term.

Good luck!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.