Thread: Family from England Hoping to Get There......

KolaKeren is offline Junior Member

Default Family from England Hoping to Get There......

Hi, my name is Keren. My husband and I together with our three children are considering immigrating to New Zealand as soon as we can organise it. We've got friends in the North Island and other friends who are also contemplating the big move, and we are going over next month for approx 5 weeks for a proper look around.

My husband is a self-employed roofing contractor and has over 15 years' experience in the construction industry and a large portfolio of work together with references, although no paper qualifications. I own an online shop selling my own handmade gifts. I also am employed part-time as a housekeeper for a holiday home company. I have several GCSE's and secretarial qualifications.

Ideally we would like to set up our own business and we have the necessary experience and finances to do so, although we are happy to find employment if that is necessary to obtain residency. We really would like some advice on what to do next. We've been on the NZ Immigration website which is really informative, but have lots of questions that I'm sure we'll find answers to on this forum.

Looking forward to having a look through some of your posts and will keep you posted on our progress. Can't wait to get there!!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Keren,

Welcome to the forum

It sounds like you could have a good case for the Long Term Business Visa with so much business experience. The Skilled Migrant option is certainly the easier of routes, but the business visa offers much greater flexibility. It all depends on what you want to do, really!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard!

You could start reading up on the LTBV (additional links on the left hand side) and this is the LTBV Guide. It might help you to make the decision about whether to apply for it or not.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KolaKeren is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks

Than you Taffy & Mother Bear for your replies. We were also thinking that the LBTV would be the right visa for us, but thought this might be a bit risky for us as a family as not sure if this guarantees residency and we could have to leave after 3 years. Has anyone out there taken this route and if so was it successful for you?
    Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I guess you would need to do some market research to find out whether your husband's business is likely to succeed in NZ. That's the main stumbling block for people applying under the LTBV. The building trade has taken a bit of a hit since the recession, but there could well be a lot of building work coming up in Christchurch after the earthquake damage if you'd want to consider that area. If you run a sucessful business and have got all your paperwork right for the application, I don't think there would be any problem with eventually progressing to residency. If you have friends in NZ they may be able to do some groundwork for you and let you know the current situation for roofing contractors. It can take a while to become known somewhere but, again, with friends there, it can only help.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.