Thread: Hi Folks

Clair Foster is offline Junior Member
    Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default Hi Folks

My name is Clair I am 37 and currently filling in my EOI to go to somewhere nice in NZ.

I have three children, 2 of which are coming, 1 is staying here to study and does not want to leave his girlfriend behind.

My partner is working as an HGV class 1 driver and can't wait to move.

So much to do and sort out. :)

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Claire,

Welcome to the forum

Are you applying with your partners HGV experience? Quite a tricky route to take!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome Claire.

Good luck with the visa application process. Hope it goes smoothly for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Hi

Thanks for the messages.

I am going down the Cafe & Restaurant ( Including Bar manager ) route.

I have found myself an agent who have been very open and friendly. They are based in Hamilton and we have the contract ready to sign.

I am not sure if its cheaper to DIY or do it ALL through an agent. I have not worked that part out yet.

My partner is not on the list so its all down to me :)

Blog Entries

Are you considering opening your own bar/restaurant i.e. starting your own business or solely working for someone else?
    Mother Bear

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Are you considering opening your own bar/restaurant i.e. starting your own business or solely working for someone else?
    I am looking to work for someone else. I don't have the money to open one myself. I wish :)

Blog Entries

Have you looked through the Long Term Skill Shortage List to see if restaurant/bar manager appears on there? This would be the key to being able to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

The whole using an agent debate has been a long contested issue really, and pre-licensing days there were some real sharks out there giving the industry a bad name - all agents must now be licensed, which got rid of the worst ones!. Some people say they just rob you and don't do anything you can't do yourself (true of a bad agent), others could never have made it without one (value of a good agent), and some people should have really used one (a lesson in ego management!!). Whether or not its cheaper to use or not use an agent is a matter of cost vs value.

If you tackle it yourself and make an error which prevents your moving, then you've wasted your money, and once you've had a declined application, it's very difficult to get passed that as it's a permanent record. On the flip side, if you don't get a good agent it can be costly too. The fact that you've looked for and had dealings with an agent tells me you feel you need one, if you've found an agent you're happy with then better still.

The crux of it really is value perspective and how confident you feel in going it alone. If an agent represents peace of mind for you, and you feel that your case will be managed correctly and ultimately be successful, then then the value outweighs the cost. If you feel you can go it alone as your case is clear cut and you understand the process, then it's cost over value.

It's a lot to think about, but I wish you the best in your decision!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Have you looked through the Long Term Skill Shortage List to see if restaurant/bar manager appears on there? This would be the key to being able to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category.
    Yes I have already checked :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    If you tackle it yourself and make an error which prevents your moving, then you've wasted your money, and once you've had a declined application, it's very difficult to get passed that as it's a permanent record. On the flip side, if you don't get a good agent it can be costly too. The fact that you've looked for and had dealings with an agent tells me you feel you need one, if you've found an agent you're happy with then better still.

The crux of it really is value perspective and how confident you feel in going it alone. If an agent represents peace of mind for you, and you feel that your case will be managed correctly and ultimately be successful, then then the value outweighs the cost. If you feel you can go it alone as your case is clear cut and you understand the process, then it's cost over value.
    I would go along with Taffy on this. NZ Immigration can be a tricky route, so getting it right first time is a priority, whether you have help along the way or not. At least, if your job skill is on the list, you have a good start .
    Mother Bear