Thread: Looking to the future!!

forabundi is offline Junior Member

Default Looking to the future!!

Hi everyone, new to the forum and would love any advice or tips please! We are a family of 4 from the north east of Scotland and are hoping to make the move to NZ. My husband is a mechanic and I am a stay at home mum at the moment. Our agent has sent away our documents to be checked by NZQA before submitting our EOI. I have done a bit of research on line and really like the look of the Hawkes Bay area. Any advice on good areas/schools/amenities would be very much welcomed. Our children are 13 and 5. Worried about meeting people once we move ~ don't want the kids or us to feel isolated. We are very excited and also a little nervous.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi, welcome to MTNZ.

Not sure if we have any current members in the Hawkes Bay area, but you never know - a lot of folks just lurk around the forum without posting.

Don't worry too much about making friends in NZ. The kiwis are generally very friendly and helpful people and, if they see that you are too, there's no reason why you shouldn't get to know quite a few. The best way to meet like-minded people in a strange country is to join clubs or groups where you all have something in common. Having children at school can also help things along as you get to know the other chldren and their parents. From what I hear, kiwi kids are pretty welcoming to newcomers and schooltime seems to be mostly a very positive experience for expat kids. Go out and meet people - don't expect them to come to you .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

forabundi is offline Junior Member

Red face Thanks for the reply ~ much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi, welcome to MTNZ.

Not sure if we have any current members in the Hawkes Bay area, but you never know - a lot of folks just lurk around the forum without posting.

Don't worry too much about making friends in NZ. The kiwis are generally very friendly and helpful people and, if they see that you are too, there's no reason why you shouldn't get to know quite a few. The best way to meet like-minded people in a strange country is to join clubs or groups where you all have something in common. Having children at school can also help things along as you get to know the other chldren and their parents. From what I hear, kiwi kids are pretty welcoming to newcomers and schooltime seems to be mostly a very positive experience for expat kids. Go out and meet people - don't expect them to come to you .
    It is early days in our application but we are all looking forward to the adventure! Thanks