Thread: Hey everyone, nice to meet you all - so to speak! Qns, qns, qns!!

HannahmHarding is offline Junior Member

Post Hey everyone, nice to meet you all - so to speak! Qns, qns, qns!!

Hi everyone, (or Kia Ora!)
    Iíve just signed up to this forum and Iím hoping there might be someone (or people) who can provide some insight into my situation.
    My names Hannah, Iím 24 and i moved to Otorohanga with my boyfriend nearly 4 months ago from Leeds, England.
    My boyfriend is a kiwi (Robert) and I met him about 2 years ago in England. He was on a 2 year visa playing cricket for a local Yorkshire team when we met. His plan was to stay for 6 months but once we met he decided to stay for the remainder of his visa, but due to his dads deteriorating health issues, we came back here a few months before it expired so I applied for a work visa and here we are.
    My original plan was to find employment similar to that which i was undertaking in the UK; (IT Project Management) but Iíve decided that isnít something i want to pursue further here now. To cut a long story short, i really want to go to university here and train to become a primary school teacher, but my work visa only enables me to work here, not study.
    Robert and I have been together about 2 years and we would have gotten married sooner or later, but given that I need Permanent Residency to study here we are happy to do it Ďsoonerí as the case may be. Obviously itís not the ideal dream fairytale situation but when you fall in love with someone from a different hemisphere and just to live in the same country together is a battle, unfortunately the fairytale seems a bit of a pipe dream. So my question is, if we were to get married, what is the basis that Perm Res is granted? And if it is granted, how long from applying does it typically take to be approved? As I need to factor all this into the equation before I can really set my sights on a uni place here.
    I do want to stress that we are completely in love, and i definitely wouldnít have used thousands of pounds/left friends, family etc to come here if i wasnít completely committed to the relationship, so although getting married is a means to getting Perm Res, we would have wanted to do it within the next year or two anyway. Like i said before, ideal situation would be that we could be together, live together, pursue our chosen fields without these constraints of restrictive visas etc but as we know, wanting to spend your life with someone from another country means jumping through certain hoops that you otherwise wouldnít have had to.
    Any ideas/thoughts/advice on the Perm Res process Ė timeframes Ė anything else i should consider would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Hannah

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Welcome to the forum :)

There's good and bad news. The good news (I think) is that you don't have to rush in to getting married as Immigration New Zealand do not consider marriage evidence of a committed relationship (otherwise people would pay others to marry them to get residency). The bad news is that Immigration New Zealand do not consider marriage as evidence of a committed relationship! So you won't get residency off the back of that.

The only means to gain residency is showing evidence of 12 months living together in a committed relationship. Assuming you're living with him now, you have 4 months already, so just need to prove another 8. It may be the case if you can't, of just getting any old job for the next 8 months until you can prove your relationship. You'll miss next years uni enrollment but you should be set for the next year.

You could also ask about getting special conditions to your visa, which would allow you to study. I don't know if that's possible or not, or whether you'd have to pay international fees.

Hope that's of some help!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Post Thank you..

Ahhh that actually makes sense!

We had been living together since April in England and i recall from my conversations with the Immigration person i spoke to about my visa that we had already supplied 5 months of evidence of living together so we would only need 7 additional months here. In January we will have lived together another 4 so we only need another 3 then we can apply for Permanent Residency?

That is a relief, we do plan on getting married in the future but its great that we can plan it and do it in our own time.

So my final question is, if we apply for Perm Res in March how long is it likely to take to be approved? As uni applications dont need to go in until August at the earliest so im hoping i can apply for 2012 still?

Thank you so much for your help - this is the best news!!

Blog Entries

Hi,

Residency applications usually take 4-6 months to process. You may be lucky and get it quicker than that, but when it comes to the Immigration dept, who knows!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Urgh really?

Its completely ridiculous, its hardly arduous is it. Hopefully it will be quicker than that, they estimated 4-6 weeks for my work visa and it was approved the next day so hopefully this will be the same.

We already have all the police checks, medical, x rays, blood tests, proof of union etc on file so im hoping it will be a case of sending the application form with the additional evidance and the money and it will be processed quickly as i really do not want to have to twiddle my thumbs for another 2 years befoe i could do the teaching course.

I guess i could ring them and ask what the expected wait time is for a decision.

Roll on never having to do anything like this again, its agony!

Blog Entries

Your police checks and medicals will have expired by the time you come to apply for PR. Police checks are only valid for 6 months and medicals for 3 months. Might pay to check they will accept them while you're asking about timeframes!

Who said getting a new life was easy!
    Taffy

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I can only give you the benefit of my experience. I came here from the US, sponsored by my kiwi partner. Specifically, you have to prove the two of you are in a "genuine and stable" relationship.

In my case, my partner and I had only known each other for about a year when we applied for me to come to New Zealand. During that time together, not only was he on the road a lot, as he was a truck driver, but he had to return to New Zealand a couple of times due to a decline in his father's health. We were able to scrape together enough evidence that we were "a couple" = mail to each of us at the same address, pictures taken in different seasons of the year together, and so forth. We are a bit older and didn't have joint accounts or anything like that. We lived with my mother so didn't pay rent (but we definately "paid" - painting and repairing, driving here and there, etc!) so no rent receipts or utilities in our names. I also had copies of emails to each other (with sensitive info blacked out) that we sent during our times apart. We also used calling cards when calling each other, but because of that, there were no records of our calls to each other. My point is, if you have been in a relationship for 2 years, even though you haven't lived together for 12 months, (unless you lived together before you came to New Zealand - that time counts!) you can submit your application now, as long as you can get evidence together that you were in a genuine and stable relationship, despite the separations! I wrote out a history of our relationship - how we met, when we became exclusive, how we communicated during our times apart and what our plans were. (I guess it didn't hurt that I was a nurse and planned on getting NZ registration and working after I got here.) But, you could include your plans for getting an education and contributing to the welfare of New Zealand by becoming a teacher. I think it only took about 2 months to get a decision - and they wanted more evidence, which I was able to scrape together - and I was able to follow my partner to New Zealand. (I now have PR, but did that as a skilled migrant after I got the NZ nursing registration sorted.)
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10