Thread: I wish to be a future New Zealander

cal2nz is offline Junior Member

Default I wish to be a future New Zealander

I currently live in California and am one of many millions of Americans that are unemployed or underemployed. The job search is getting depressing- there are no jobs available except for administrative data entry type stuff, and I'm not even getting responses for those, even though I am qualified.

Also, I do not like what America is becoming and it is eroding quickly. The education system, polarized political atmosphere on the brink of war, the sheer ignorance and stupidity of the average American, the corrupt and greedy health care situation, the dirty air, the congested freeways, the lack of decent public transit, the obesity pandemic.. I could go and and on, but it's no wonder America has such a problem with depression- it has turned into quite a depressing place!

New Zealand consistently ranks as the highest quality of living in the world year over year, and I really believe I would be at home in a country that values education, clean air, the environment, equality, and an overall relaxed attitude. However, I would like to know if I would qualify in order that I might save hours of application.

I am 27 years old (28 in 7 days). I have a bachelor's degree from University of San Francisco in Media Studies. I have worked the four previous years in the insurance industry doing safety and code compliance inspections on buildings. I have also worked as a magazine editor. Ideally I would like to work in a video production studio as a videographer.

Based on this information alone is it possible I could qualify for NZ citizenship? I am hoping for the best.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cal2nz View Post
    Based on this information alone is it possible I could qualify for NZ citizenship? I am hoping for the best.
    Woa! First things first, you would need to consider applying for permanent residency first before moving on to NZ citizenship. In previous years it was possible to apply for citizenship after successfully holding residency for 3 years but in later years it has become necessary to complete 5 years as a resident.

Now, onto the tricky bit . There are several ways to gain residency, some of them quicker than others but all of them depend on your circumstances. Your bible, while deciding whether you can apply and then going through the process, is the NZ Immigration website. To qualify to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category, which is the most common route, you would need job skills, experience and qualifications in a sector that is in demand in NZ. To begin with, take a look through here and work your way through the associated links. Use this in conjunction with the Essential Skills in Demand lists to see if your job title appears on there.

If you have specific questions after reading all this, please come back and we'll try to talk you through it.

Good luck!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

cani is offline Junior Member

How about trying a WHV(working holiday visa) to see if you would like NZ? Also it could give you NZ work experience which would help you later on if you deecide that moving to NZ permanently is what you really want.

Kristina

cal2nz is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the responses guys. It appears that at the moment none of the long term skills in demand match my qualifications, but I assume these lists are updated constantly?

A Working Holiday Visa sounds doable- how long do those last? Are New Zealand businesses reluctant to hire foreigners?

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Curious - what makes you think the job scene is any better here in New Zealand? You might want to look at sites like Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me, SEEK - New Zealand's no.1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site for jobs and also to see how much a place to live costs here. Look in to private medical insurance here in New Zealand. Have you had a look at The New Zealand Herald online? I bought petrol last week and it was $1.94 per liter and I think it has hit $2.00 per liter. (Okay, so I live up north and don't get out much - give me a break!)

It really scares me a little when people think New Zealand is some sort of utopia - then come here and get smacked with reality and wind up posting on expats.com about the place and how awful it is. (New Zealand is the third fattest nation in the world. And American people have been dumb and that won't change, unfortunately).You really need to come here and have a look around before you decide to move here.You might change your mind, and on the other hand, you might absolutely fall in love with the place. Now, I'm off to burn the trash.....
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10