Thread: Budding residency candidate

Mal.practice is offline Junior Member

Default Budding residency candidate

Hi,
    In NZ at the moment having been granted WTR instead of the residency I applied for but can understand that as I had not got a job offer at the time .
    Recession in Building hitting my prospects as I trained as an architect in the UK and have been lecturing for a long time , whilst doing private work.
    Got work permit and its valid for 6 months more , so hope things may pick up .
    Mal

People Space is offline Senior Member

Welcome!
    If you want information on working as an architect in NZ, let me know as that is what I do.

Hi People space ,
    thanks for taking the time to reply. A I said , my timing has probably been a bit off as if I had known the recession was quite as bad down here I may have put things off for a while. Most of the ads seem to state that they need NZ registered people or those with local experience and obviously I have neither. I'm sure the functional requirements of buildings are not that different but it has been hard getting a foot in the door. I'm staying in Auckland at the moment as a long term friend and his wife are putting me up but I would be happy enough to give almost anywhere a go having come this far.
    I very much appreciate your offer of advice and would certainly like to take you up on it without becoming too much of a pest hopefully.
    Thanks again , Mal.

I would apply for the jobs that require NZ experience anyway. It may annoy some, but it gets you known to them at least. Emphasise any knowledge of software you have and alsoexperience running jobs
    I would try to familiarise yourself with as much legislation and standards as possible

Go to the library and have a good look at New Zealand Standard NZS3604
    This is the "bible" of light timber framing in NZ and is written to include most aspects of a small timber building which allows people to do a lot of the structural design for a "standard" building themselves.
    Also look at the building code which is downloadable on the dbh.govt.nz website (Department of Building and housing) and in particular familiarise yourself with E2 as a starting point.
    Look at things like bracing (both within 3604 and beyond) which you will need to be familiar with regarding earthquake strengthening. For anything other than simple jobs an Engineer will do this, but an understanding will help.

Contact NZRAB, the architects registration board for info on becoming an NZ registered architect (requires that you work here for some time first)
    also look at the Licensed building practitioner info on the DBH website.

Look at the NZIA (architects institute) website and have a look though an copy of their contract SCC (standard conditions of contract) if you can get hold of it to familiarise yourself with terms of building contracts here. Also the NZS contract of 3910 Conditions of contract for building and civil engineering construction and 3902 are worth looking at.

All these will at least show an understanding of the differences of how things work here.

Yes 3604 came up in a couple of interviews I did for a lecturing post in a local polytechnic. Better get stuck into it .
    Thanks for all the advice and info on local procedures . Much appreciated. I will do as you recommend and let you know if anything comes of it.
    Either way , I am very grateful, cheers.
    Mal.

Good luck.
    If you have any specific questions post them on this thread and I will try to answer them.