Thread: USA to NZ

xfilegyrl is offline Junior Member

Default USA to NZ

I am in the USA and hope to move myself, my daughter and cat to NZ with future partner. He is a NZ resident. I need all kinds of help with shipping my downsized stuff to shipping my cat to ... I don't know. I am most worried because my partner and I are not married (YET) and have not lived together at all. It seems to be an important part of the immigration process if I don't have a skill that is needed.

HELP!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Take a look at this visa type. It's suitable if you have a NZ partner or one who holds NZ residency. It states you need to be living together at the time you apply. You could enter NZ on a visit visa which may need extending if your application hasn't been approved in time before your visit visa runs out. There is no requirement at all for you to be married so don't worry about that although you will probably be asked to prove that you are in a stable and genuine relationship.

Now, bringing your cat to NZ..... I have been reliably informed that NZ is one of the hardest countries to bring pets into .

This is just one excerpt from here.

8 ELIGIBILITY FOR IMPORTATION

8.2 Eligibility for importation under this import health standard is confined to members of the species Canis familiaris (domestic dog) and Felis catis (domestic cat).

Dogs of the following breeds (including crosses of these breeds) are not eligible for importation:

* American Pit Bull Terrier;
    * Dogo Argentino;
    * Japanese Tosa; and
    * Brazilian Fila

8.3 The specified countries and territories recognised as countries or territories in which canine rabies is absent or well controlled and, as such, for which this import health standard is applicable are as follows:

Antigua and Barbuda, Austria, Argentina, Bahamas, Belgium, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Falkland Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Macau, Malta, Mauritius, The Netherlands, Netherland Antilles and Aruba, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Croatia, Republic of Slovenia, Reunion, Sabah, Sarawak, Seychelles, South Korea, Spain, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent Grenadin, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Uruguay, US Virgin Islands, Wallis and Futuna.

8.4 The animals must have been resident in the exporting country for the 6 months prior to export, and the animals must not have been resident in official quarantine premises in the 60 days immediately prior to export.

8.5 Animals must not be more than 42 days pregnant at the date of shipment.

8.6 Animals must be more than 9 months old at departure.

8.7 Animals will be eligible for biosecurity clearance if the following steps are completed at the appropriate times, and in the prescribed order.

8.7.3 Animal is identified with a microchip (see Clause 9)

8.7.4 Animal is vaccinated against rabies with an approved inactivated vaccine.

8.7.5 At least 3 weeks later, blood is drawn for the initial neutralising antibody titration test for rabies. The test result must demonstrate a titre of at least 0.5IU/ml. (Refer Clause 6.2.3). Animals will not become eligible for importation until at least 6 months, and no greater than 12 months from the date of blood sampling for this test.

8.7.6 Animal completes tests and treatments specified in Veterinary Certificate A within 30 days of scheduled departure date, including a second neutralising antibody titration test for rabies.

8.7.7 The Government vet at the port of export completes Veterinary Certificate B after a final inspection of the animal and its certification.

8.8 Animals imported directly from New Zealand into the country or territory of export less than 6 months residency may be eligible for an import permit under the following additional conditions:

8.8.3 the animal has resided continuously in the country or territory of export since being imported directly from New Zealand;

8.6.1 the animal was identified by microchip prior to, or at the time of, rabies vaccination in New Zealand (note Clause 9);

8.8.4 the animal was vaccinated against rabies with an approved inactivated vaccine at least 1 month and not more than 6 months prior to leaving New Zealand when the animal was at least 3 months of age;

8.8.5 the animal was subjected to a serum rabies neutralising antibody titre test no greater than 6 months prior to leaving New Zealand, and with a result of at least 0.5IU/ml, and;

8.8.6 a copy of the NZ export certificate is supplied

Good luck with that one . We're already preparing ahead for taking our 2 to NZ although we probably won't be going there to live for a couple of years.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Thanks for that Mother Bear

Thank you. I am freaking out about the living together at the time of the application part since I will be there in March and then not again until I plan the move there. I have to try to maintain my household here while also trying to get my new life established. I am worried most of all about my cat getting there. I have had her since she was a kitten and she is 11 now... will not leave her here.

Thank you again,

Xfilegyrl

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

So you're hoping to apply maybe in March when you're in NZ, but would be leaving the country until, presumably, you get news that your visa will be granted? Hmmm, that is a bit messy, isn't it ? Would be much simpler if you submitted your application when you went to NZ to settle . It won't look so good if you apply and then disappear again.

Re getting your cat into NZ, it's certainly doable, it's just that the formalities are a real pain and your cat would probably have to go into quarantine in NZ for a month when it arrives.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kidsfriendly is offline Junior Member

Red face Happy to help

It's a scray business moving your family from one side of the world to the other. I'm a mum of four kids, all still at school and run a travel company. I have heaps of info on family-friendly places around NZ. So if you need any advice on things to do with your daughter when you arrive let me know. That are heaps of places that are great for families, many are free.

I find when travelling that having a few ideas of things to do with your child always helps as they are looking for you for all the ideas and it's great when you can come up instantly with a few (even if you do have to research them first).

So feel free to fire away with questions, happy to help.

Gaye

Default Thanks

Hey Gayle,

Thanks! Actually my daughter has been to NZ twice and I have been there 4 times we are locating in Newtown outside of Wellington. I would love to hear about things to do that I may not have done yet. We will b there in March for a trial month to make sure I can be away from my family for a long time! Oh, and my daughter is 14.

Thanks again,

Amy