Thread: Wanting to shift Careers

mitchelldips is offline Junior Member

Smile Wanting to shift Careers

Hi, im almost 3 years in NZ and i want to shift careers. Im currently in the health sector industry but i always wanted to be in Sales. I have adequate experience in sales overseas (10 yrs) and it seems like its hard to be accepted since i beleive most employer require NZ experience. How can you have experience if they wont hire you? In my CV, would you think i need to put my medical background rather than my sales background if i applied in sales? need your inputs..thanks

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I think you always need to tweak your CV to highlight your skills in the area you are applying. If you happen to be applying for a job in health sector sales, then put emphasis on your sales ability, and back it up with sound knowledge of the medical market.

From experience, both personally and with friends, it seems that most employers prefer local experience. However, some employers recognise that experience in an overseas market, where competition could be fierce, is an advantage.

I'm afraid it's very much pot luck when applying for jobs. It usually depends on the role you are applying for as to how well you are received. More senior positions tend to be much harder to compete for. Just apply for everything you want and go from there!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks taffy for your inputs..cheers!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You may have to consider starting from ground level again and work your way up once you have proved yourself in the kiwi market. A sprat to catch a mackerel.

As Taffy says, gear your CV to emphasise your sales background and focus a potential employer's attention on it. My hubby does it all the time when he's applying for jobs in a different sector. Good luck!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks Motherbear for your inputs. I agree regarding the CV construction. I should rather omit my medical background if i applied in a non medical sales organization like in
    the consumer sales where my background on sales is. Thanks guys for your inputs, i appreciate it very much. cheers!