Thread: Hello!

-Rob- is offline Junior Member

Default Hello!

Hello everyone,

My name is Rob, and my wife and I are currently living in the UK. We have been looking at moving out to NZ for a while and are about ready to take the plunge.

I work in IT doing Systems administration. I am very interested in the security side of IT and have recently been doing more along those lines.

My wife has a degree in human nutrition but no work experience in that field. The other qualifications she has (Pharmacy Technician) aren't transferable to NZ, but she was thinking of going back to Nutrition, and maybe doing a Dietetics post graduate course out there.

We are a bit anxious about getting work out there and as such are considering using one of the immigration consultancies that help with finding work and arranging interviews as well as handling the paperwork with NZ immigration. (From what I gather New Zealand Shores doesn't offer this)

Does anyone have any recommendations of companies that are good/bad at arranging interviews / putting you in contact with suitable employers / securing job offers? - We have talked to a couple of companies, but I'd be very interested in any experiences other people have had.

Thanks,

Rob.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Rob, welcome to MTNZ. Sorry, haven't got any useful info for you on combined immigration consultants/job agents so I hope someone on here can help out.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

-Rob- is offline Junior Member

We've had a different thought we might go with, which is just to go out on a working holiday visa for a year and then after say 6 months, if we are sure we want to stay, start the process ourselves. - As we would be in the country already I'm assuming job hunting would be easier?

Any thoughts? - Is this a viable option?

Rob.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a plan . A WHV is a good way of testing out how you like the country if you aren't 100% sure you want to stay long term. I get the impression that applying for jobs inside NZ is a lot easier than from outside because employers prefer to know you have made the effort to get there and also they have the chance to meet you face to face. It can happen that someone is offered a job while they are still outside NZ, but then changes his/her mind about taking the job up for some reason, thereby wasting the employer's time. Someone who is actually in NZ stands a better chance of taking up a job than someone who isn't. Just make sure, if you get a permanent job offer, to apply for a temporary work permit as a WHV is only meant to be used for casual labour. While you are on a work permit, if you decide you want to stay permanently in NZ, you can submit an application for residency if your job skills qualify you for this.

While job hunting, it can come up that a potential employer might state he/she can't employ you because you don't have a work permit. This is not correct because, to be able to apply for a work permit, you first need a job offer. Some employers use this excuse if they don't want to employ someone from overseas as it can involve a fair amount of paperwork.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.