Thread: Moving to queenstown, nz end january 2011 from sa

charmers is offline Junior Member

Post Moving to queenstown, nz end january 2011 from sa

Looking for good schools in Queenstown, can someone recommend for boy age 16 grade 11, boy age 12 grade 6, girl age 6 grade 1. Also need to know what is a great area to live in and are the schools zone to where you live? My grade 6 plays the piano would be great if that is offered at school and both boys do french as a second language. Thanks Charmers

Henry-Stewart is offline Junior Member

You're gonna have problems with schooling in Queenstown as there is very limited options. For primary education, Remarkables primary school in Frankton is probably your best bet. Brand new facilities and smaller classes than the other schools in the district. As for secondary education, you only have one option without boarding school out of town. Wakatipu High School is the only one in town and as such it has a very broad socio-economic demographic, this is not always a bad thing of course, however I would vet your kids friends if you can!!
    I'm not saying it's a bad school at all, in fact many of my friends went there and had a blast. But depending on where you are coming from, it may actually be better! As for languages, I don't think French is taught widely in NZ. Indeed students at wakatipu seem to learn Japanese or mandarin.
    Hope this is helpful :)

charmers is offline Junior Member

Default Schooling in Queenstown

Thanks Henry, you were most helpful, not many options are there...wow feeling a little sad as my kids are in great schools here and just thought NZ had great schools all round, but its where I am to live as my husband has brought a business there...

Wakatipu High is certainly not a bad school though! Beleive me in comparison to a lot of the larger city schools it's a great one! But what Queenstown does have is fantastic opportunities to engage in extra-curricular activities which will look great on university applications and cvs. It's an incredibly active and adventurous place whilst holding on to a large amount of culture. I truly couldn't think of a better place to bring up children, however you may want to look into the after-school courses and activities on offer, not just what the school has to offer. Hope this has helped and not just got you down. Good luck with the business, I'm sure we'll see each other around since Queenstown is such a small town.
    H-S

Default Areas to live

I meant to also talk about the areas in Queenstown. Obviously you are looking for a family friendly area and if I were you I'd be looking at Kelvin Heights or Lake Hayes Estate. Both are out of town, get a lot of sun and a lot of open space. Lake Hayes Estate is very much suburban so there are a lot of families, so lots of opportunities to make friends. If however you are looking to live in town Queenstown Hill is the place to be. However it gets very little sun in the winter. Hope I've helped.

kidsfriendly is offline Junior Member

Red face activities for kids

Don't know if you have any knowledge of things to do in the area etc for the kids, but let me know if I can help.

I'm a mum of four kids and although I don't live in Queenstown I work for a company that provides information about family-friendly activities throughout NZ, so happy to help if I can with ideas for your family.