Thread: Newbie.

Swannie is offline Junior Member

Default Newbie.

Hi there folks, just joined and trying to get used to the site. My other half and I have, after years of procrastinating, decided to move to New Zealand. My best mate moved there 12 years ago although she did come home for a couple of years in the middle and after sitting listening to what she has to say about things over there and the life she lives we have decided we just need to go. We have both lived over seas through our lives so the usual homesick blues just don't worry us and we both are very outdoorsy, I work in agriculture and horticulture, the other half is a riding instructor and I will be honest... we have absolutely no idea where to start!

We have a hell of a lot of family in Nelson and in Rotorua, Gisborne and my best mate lives near to Taupo so I guess we would aim at settling somewhere near there, but how do we go about it? We had some family move over there a few years back and they were sponsored somehow, not sure how but they are there now and since he set up a chip shop he definitely didn't go as a skilled trade! So, its over to you guys, the experts... and help is greatly appreciated.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome Swannie.

The first thing you need to do when considering immigration is to hurtle yourself into the wondrous but rather complicated world of INZ (Immigration NZ). Unfortunately their website is undergoing some upgrades during 7th/8th August so is not available just now. You can find it on Immigration New Zealand. At the moment it seems to throw you into a message page re the site being down.

You can only be sponsored for NZ immigration by a close relative i.e. parent or sibling and I believe you would need a job offer for this. Other than this, you need to look through the website when it's up again and dig up the links for the Long Term Skills Shortage List and Immediate Skills Shortage List and see if you can find job titles on there that match either your or your wife's job. This will give you a starting point and we can go on from there. Without a particular job skill that NZ needs, it's very difficult to stay there long term. I don't want to push too much info onto you early on so perhaps you can come back on here once you've done a bit of reading and will probably be full of questions.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I did try and read the website but it was down at the time, cheers though.

Ok... well I have had a look at the website and I am totally confused. Am I right in assuming that the skills list comprises basically of a handful of Degree based skills and nothing else? I am very confused because I know several people who have moved over there on much lesser trades.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie View Post
    I am very confused because I know several people who have moved over there on much lesser trades.
    There are different ways to get into NZ other than via the Skills Shortage lists. Some people have immediate family who can get them in under the Family Category although a job offer is still needed for this. Some find skilled jobs that aren't on one of the lists and they can sometimes get a work permit if they have a job offer where a kiwi can't be found to do the same job. Some find jobs with an Accredited Employer. It can depend on whether the people you know who have moved to NZ are, in fact, allowed to stay there permanently or whether they are only on temporary visas e.g. Working Holiday or a temporary work permit.

It's a case of finding the right route in for yourself and your job skills. If you work in agriculture and horticulture, I would think you would be very popular there with all the farming and growing that goes on in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Welcome Pansy. What sort of help do you require? Are you thinking about immigrating to NZ, too?
    Mother Bear