Thread: Hello all :)

Landrover is offline Junior Member

Default Hello all :)

Guess I should have posted here before I started asking questions

Currently living in Lancs, UK and hoping to emigrate to NZ with my family. We feel that the UK holds little future for our children and are looking forward a change of lifestyle. I'll probably be asking a few questions so please be patient with me :)

We've discussed the potential move for some months now, and now started to involve the kids. Youngest son is 15 and is quite happy with the idea, our oldest son is 20 and a bit cautious at the moment.

We are now at the point of submitting our EOI, I am just trying to make sure I understand it 100% so we can give accurate answers but at the same time make sure we don't miss out on any bonus points.

We will be visiting a NZ expo in Manchester in 3 weeks to gather more information and hopefully that will help bring our oldest son around a little more.

I don't plan on trying to get a job offer before leaving the UK even though it would help our EOI. Almost all the positions I have looked at require the applicant to have the right to work in NZ before applying. So we thought it may be better to try and get out there then find work.

Regards
    Pete

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MTNZ Pete. Glad to have you along with us.

You may well do better applying for jobs when you get to NZ because it often appears that potential employers prefer to deal with applicants who are already in the country. Dealing with applicants who are still overseas can sometimes result in no-shows when it's time for the applicant to take up his/her position with the relevant company as they have decided not to come to NZ after all This tends to make employers rather cautious and they may feel more confident when the applicant has already made the big commitment to travel to NZ. That's not to say it's impossible to get a job while you're still outside NZ - many people do manage it, but it can depend on the type of job you're looking for.

The clause about not having the right to work in NZ is a bit misleading because, to be able to get a work permit (i.e. the right to work in NZ unless you are a kiwi or a resident), you would be required to have a job offer before you can even apply for it. It can be a company's way of saying 'We only want kiwis or permanent residents'.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

Hi Pete,

Could you provide some details of the expo? I didn't realise there was another one. PM me if you like.

Cheers,

Jof

Landrover is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome :)

the job situation really does seem like chicken and egg, have an offer to get points, need the points to get an offer. I think we can get over 100 without any trouble, not sure about the 140 barrier yet.

Jof, here is a link to the website, there are 2 in the UK and 1 in SA Opportunities New Zealand Expo

helenk579 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
    Thanks for the welcome :)

the job situation really does seem like chicken and egg, have an offer to get points, need the points to get an offer. I think we can get over 100 without any trouble, not sure about the 140 barrier yet.

Jof, here is a link to the website, there are 2 in the UK and 1 in SA Opportunities New Zealand Expo

I also think so.