Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple to NZ

MnP
    MnP is offline Junior Member

Default couple to NZ

Hi all,

me and hubby are thinking of going to NZ for a while. We are in the Netherlands at the moment and waiting for a PR to Australia. That might still take 3 years though and we do not want to stay in NL for that long. So off to NZ. I can get a WHV, DH can get a holiday visum. That would give us 9 months to find a permanent job so we can apply for PR in NZ. I get about 160 points if I have a joboffer.

I still got heaps of questions, like
    - is it possible to find the right job within 9 months for a visa
    - would we get PR in time before the holidayvisum expires?
    - what is working in NZ like, similar to europe? I work for local gov at the moment, I know that is organised differently (but they would still do waste and watermanagement, so there should be work)
    - how is the economy going over there, is it easy to find skilled work?
    - how about renting a house, I found that easy in OZ, is it the same in NZ? (In NL it is just about impossible to rent a house)

we are planing to leave in september, any help, ideas etc is welcome. I find the NZ immigration department very confusing, it seems like half the info is missing on their website. The procedure is quite vague too, like there is a lot of room for the individual officers to decided what they like.

cheers

MnP

MnP

browsing around on this forum is great! just more questions.

how much does it all cost? just a quick look I get to about 3000NZ$. would that be about right?

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MnP View Post
    browsing around on this forum is great! just more questions.

How much does it all cost? just a quick look I get to about 3000NZ$. would that be about right?
    If you're talking about a PR application then that sounds like it's in the right ballpark (I haven't checked the current fees)

Basically you have the EOI fee, then the ITA fee then the migrant levy. On top of that you have the cost of postage and phone calls and photographs.

Final costs could vary with lots of other factors, like if you have to pay for a medical referral, if you have to sit an IELTS (language test) or if you have to pay registration fees etc to work in your industry. I don't know what a police certificate costs in your country for example, or what solicitors charge there for making certified copies of documents.

Jof

MnP

done the IELTS already and that should be still valid luckily. I saw the cost of certifying your skills are very high, 800NZ$ all up. it surprised me, this is nearly as much as the visa.

we are really doubting it is all worth it. The stress of moving and not knowing what will happen, not knowing we'll find work (DH is an artist, he does not do work anyhow), not knowing if we'll be able to settle. But then again, I keep being sick over here. Nothing serious, just burn-out. been back for 3 years now and still have not settled, I just cannot. Lived in OZ for 6 years, they were the only good years in my life. Surely I can settle in NZ, at least the air is not so dirty and it does not smell horrific, like europe (been in NZ 4 weeks and loved it).

such a major step and not sure we are up for making it. at the same time, it feels like there is no choice, as staying here is akin to murder.

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

NZ is frequently referred to as a laid back place, hopefully that means less stressful. Time will tell!

The thing that finally convinced me to make the move was being stuck in a rut in my current job.

At the moment I'd be happy picking grapes if it paid the rent, but you can't do that in the UK.

Jof

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you could manage to get skilled job offers in NZ and, as a result, get long term work visas, that might be enough to carry you over until your Oz PR comes through. Possbily your hubby may have to apply for his work visa as a partner when you get yours as he may not be able to get a skilled job offer and, therefore, a work visa on his own. That's one way of doing it without incurring the costs of 2 PR applications. Long term work permits would fill in the time if you want to settle in Oz ultimately and you may be able to renew them.

Have you looked on the Internet for possible NZ job sites? Try our NZ Website List under Employment. Some links may not be working any longer, but see how you go. That's the best way to judge how easy it would be to find something in your line of work. Generally, it's not the best time to be looking for jobs with the recession still biting, but that's not to say you wouldn't find something. It might be an idea to do as much research as possible before you consider making the move. PR without a job offer can sometimes take many months and that is when things go smoothly. If there are problems along the way, it can delay the process.

Immigration fees

From what I hear of working in NZ, the kiwis can be a bit resistent to change and can't easily be persuaded to use more modern practices. Other than that, there are both good and bad stories about working in NZ, so I guess it depends on how well you fit in.

For renting, take a look on the NZ Website List again under Real Estate. It should give you some links to agents with properties to buy or rent although, as above, some links may be out of date by now. That will give you an idea of what is available and for how much. Generally renting in NZ is easy enough although, if you have a dog, it can be more difficult.

I don't think anyone could say that NZ's air is heavily polluted, but it can be damp in places. Housing tends to be more flimsy than houses in Europe, which are brick or block built and central heating and insulation are a luxury rather than a common aid although insulation is now installed in all modern houses by law.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

MnP

that is some amazing list you got! THANK YOU!!!!

I checked SEEK. about 20 jobs I could just roll into. that is about 19 jobs more than over here at the moment. Then there are still jobs in other fields I could talk myself into. sounds like I don't really need to worry then

Hubby is an artist and philosopher. He does not do work ;) But you can include partners on a PR can't you? or does that double the fee? I have not read anything suggesting that, but I assumed it would be similar to OZ.
    As for time, within 6 months should be doable? Assuming all paperwork is all right. We already got most paperwork anyway, for the OZ visum and it looks like they pretty much want the same stuff again.

hmm, resistance to change. That sounds like a challenge as most of my work is changemanagement. Like trying to get people to be sustainable.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MnP View Post
    But you can include partners on a PR can't you? or does that double the fee?
    Do all family members have to pay fees?

You only have to pay one application fee for all of the people included in your application. You can include your partner and/or dependent children in your application if you are applying for a:
    • residence visa/permit
    • returning resident’s visa (RRV)
    • visitor’s visa/permit
    • limited purpose visa/permit to visit New Zealand
    • transit visa.

From here.

If you find any links in the NZ Website List that are no longer working, if you let me know which ones, I will try to find a new link for them. Companies are forever updating their sites so this happens on a regular basis.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

andim5 is offline Junior Member

Default Some info

Hello there,
    After reading your questions I just wanted to give you some answers to think about.
    Regarding jobs: I would not make the move to NZ unless you have a job offer. Kiwis are big on supporting/hiring their own. It is hard to find a job when you do not have a "Kiwi experience" and at the end you might have to settle for something less desirable than what you were looking for.

Regarding housing: rentals are not hard to come by, however there is an increasing shortage due to the housing market. The houses here are not built well (unless you can afford $750/week) and can be pretty damp. Your best bet is apartments in the city (furnished or unfurnished). We found that even though you might be looking at and average of $500/week for renting a place you should not forget that on top of that you've got electricity, water/sewer and phone/cable. It can add up quite fast.
    They have great websites you can brows: Trade Me but you cannot join unless you are in OZ or NZ.

As for your PR you are looking at
    EOI fee: $400
    Residence App: $1400
    Migrant Levy: $300/per adult

There will be additional fees for your medical, pictures and police clearance but that varies from country to country and you can check it for yourself.
    If you are planning on leaving in September I suggest you get right on getting your expression of interest because it can take up to 6-8 months easily.

I hope this helps.
    Living in Mission Bay, Auckland since June 2009 and loving it.

Default you have good cards...

Hi there,

I thought I also drop I line. I think you have good cards with your 160 points. If you come on a WHV that would be a great start to travel around and get to know the country.
    And I think for skilled migrants like you it is not so bad to find a job even when you start searching here.
    You can for sure apply on seek from Europe and have some job interviews by skype if that would relax you more.

The living costs are not that bad, we are living in a very nice and dry townhouse for 350 dollars a week in Auckland which is very safe with a security gate. If you live in Mission Bay:) for sure it will be more expensive but there are lots of nice place for 350 or 400 dollars a week out there. Have a look on trademe for some places so you get an idea.

My husband and I have a pretty average income and are able to save a lot money and have no problems to have some money left for going out or doing some fun stuff. I can save a lot more money over here then I was used to in Austria.

The duration of the whole PR process might be a bit longer then you thought....can be 1 year sometimes or slightly longer. So better start to lodge your EOI asap:)

Cheers, Anita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast