Thread: Can anyone help please?

lindz is offline Junior Member

Default Can anyone help please?

My partner lives in Canada. We have been dating now for 1 year and he wants to relocate here so that we can get married.

He put in an EOI as a Web Developer after calling Immigration on two occasions to check and see if he needed a degree and was told no both times as his 8 years experience was sufficient. Well he was selected, then rejected because he has no degree.

He has been told to get a job offer.....yeah right, please tell me how you get a job offer in NZ with no visa???? It is impossible, we have been trying since September 2009 and sent out his CV to so many companies.

I am in NZ on an Essential Skills Visa which is valid for 2 years.

Please can anyone help or advise as to how we can get him into NZ, I am desperate.

I cannot relocate to Canada as my ex will not let my children leave NZ.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindz View Post
    He has been told to get a job offer.....yeah right, please tell me how you get a job offer in NZ with no visa???? It is impossible, we have been trying since September 2009 and sent out his CV to so many companies.
    In normal circumstances it would have been fairly possible to get a job offer without a visa when you're out of the country or when on another type of temporary visa, but then along came the recession. A whole heap of kiwis returned home as their jobs overseas came to a grinding halt so the job market became rather congested with job seekers. A skilled job offer is needed before applying for a work visa or one of the other visa types e.g. Work to Residence, although there are some employers who stubbornly insist that you would need a work permit before you can apply for a job. In these cases it appears they are just resistent to employing expats.

Back to your situation... if you hold a long term work permit, you could bring your partner in under this policy but, in your case, the problem is that you haven't been living together for a minimum of 12 months, which is usually accepted as being in a 'genuine and stable relationship'. With those who have residency or are residents, as you can see in the above link, it does allow for those people who haven't actually lived together. I don't know if this could be applied to those, like you, who only have a temporary permit though.

Your partner holds a New Zealand work permit

If your partner holds a work permit for more than six months we may grant you a work permit for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand.

You must show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner. Your partner must:

* be eligible to sponsor you
    * meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    * intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    * provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Loosing hope

Well a company contacted me today wanting to find out more information about Mark, and then the question was asked even though it was in the application, what is your visa/permit status?
    Need a visa to get a job. The reply "You are the perfect candidate but we are not prepared to recruit people with no visas as we are not prepared to deal with immigration, its a loosing battle.

Once again, our hopes dashed.

I am not sure about the link as we have not lived together for longer then 6 weeks when he was on vacation here. How are we supposed to live together when you cant get into the country?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindz View Post
    Need a visa to get a job. The reply "You are the perfect candidate but we are not prepared to recruit people with no visas as we are not prepared to deal with immigration, its a loosing battle.
    This is quite worrying when they say 'It's a losing battle'. Makes it sound like INZ are making it very difficult for companies to take on overseas workers . However, not all companies adopt this attitude, thankfully. How old is Mark? I wondered if it would be any easier if he could apply for a Working Holiday Visa and work at the job for a while, although it would have to be looked on as casual work for the purposes of that visa. Unfortunately I can't get into the INZ website at the moment to scan through the Canadian WHV page to see how long he could get a visa for. It might have been just long enough for you to live together for 12 months although he might not have been able to work the whole time. Just grasping at straws.

Once your 2-year permit is expiring, what do you intend doing then? Are you able to extend or will you be heading home? This could help determine the best route for Mark to get into NZ if it's only going to be temporary.
    Mother Bear

Mark is 40 years old and they just upped the age to 35

I plan to try and get PR as my children are in NZ and still young and need me, hence the reason I cannot move to Canada. What exactly is a working holiday visa and how old do you have to be?

Blog Entries

You can read up about the WHV here and here. For Canada the age limit is 35 so Mark will have missed it unfortunately.
    Mother Bear

Yes we out of luck for the Working holiday scheme.

Does anyone know how long I can leave the country for with a 2 year essential skills visa?