Thread: Canadian Hello

chellecanuck is offline Junior Member

Default Canadian Hello

Hi there, I am a 32 year old Canadian female. I am hoping to move to New Zealand in June. My partner and I have been in a relationship since May 2008. He is a New Zealand Citizen. He spent 6 months here in Canada, then I spent 2 months there, then we've been long distance the rest of the time. We're ready to take the next step and I am going to hopefully join him in new zealand soon. Because we have not been together for a year I know that rules out a general work visa or residence. I have seen that I can apply for a temporary work visa under the partnership policy even if we havent lived together for a year. I noticed just recently that I Have to be living with him at the time of application which puts a little damper on things but I think what I will do is go to New Zeland on a visitors visa and apply for a visa once wer're there and living together. If anyone has any advice about any of this or just wants to say hello, I look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks so much

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi, welcome to the forum

I think you've got yourself a plan right there. At 32 though, you could also apply for a working holiday visa which would also entitle you to work at the same time should the need arise. There are some rules for this visa, which you can find here:

Canada Working Holiday Scheme

Hope that helps!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks so much, I wasnt aware that I was of age for a working holiday, thought I was too old. I have also had my qualifications assessed and am registered with the New Zealand Teacher's council as I am a certified Teacher. I guess there are several options (which is nice) Im wondering which would be the best route.
    Option1: Temporary Work visa under the partnership policy.
    Option2: Working Holiday Visa
    Option3: Silverfern program
    Option4: Skilled migrant category.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Blog Entries

Options 1 & 2 amount to the same outcome, the Silverfern policy has a 300 people per year limit so that will be swamped pretty quickly, if not already, plus it looks like you'd have to then apply under the SMC for residency after 2 years of working. I should think there would be little need to go through the SMC if your partner can sponsor your permanent residence once you meet the conditions.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks Taffy, so Im back to my original plan I guess. If you think thats the best route, it's the one I will go for. As for the working holliday, it says you need 4000 in the bank. How do they verify this? And how much weight does it hold as far as your acceptance?

Blog Entries

The $4200NZ holds no bearing on having your application accepted, you need to show evidence that you have it upon arrival in the country. It can be verified either by having it in cash, or things like showing a recent bank statement.

Both routes have their merits, it just depends on what you need to be able to do when you arrive.
    Taffy

Hi there... Which visa application do you think I'd be most likely to have approved? I guess thats the main thing. In general, are they hard to acquire? I have some qualifications that are on the skill shortage list, does that help me? Thanks sooo much for your help.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

If you are already registered with the NZ Teachers' Council that is a big step you have taken already towards an application under the Skilled Migrant Category. If you were to consider going this route at least you would have a resident's visa which wouldn't be dependent on someone else. It would take some time to process such an application but, if you got a job meanwhile, you could still apply for a work visa to carry you through until residency was granted. It depends how quickly you want to get to NZ.

Alternatively, if you applied under the WHV category (the age limit was raised to 35 from 30 recently for Canadians), it would be a quicker option for getting to NZ and would also give you the opportunity to progress a work permit under the Family Stream which allows you a stay of up to 2 years to get the living-together thing done and you could then apply for residence as a partner. Most long term visa applications involve quite a paperchase but are doable. Decisions, decisions.

All categories have validity and it depends which one you are most comfortable with. You are lucky that you have your teaching skill and a kiwi partner so there are several options open to you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging comments. I realize that I have some choices but that is what is making it difficult. I wonder which would be the easiest route but mostly which would be most likely to get approved? Should it be a working holiday or a temporary work visa under the family stream? Also, generally are visas hard to acquire? Whats the consensus with that? Again thanks for your help so far Taffy and Motherbear :)