Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: partnership and visa help needed

fluffchucker is offline Junior Member

Default partnership and visa help needed

Hi
    I went over to NZ for five months to try and find work to get my residency. BTW I'm in my early 50's.
    No luck.
    But I keep hearing conflicting information about visitors visa'a.
    I'm british.
    Some say 6 months in 6 out, others nine in nine out. Then the other day I heard a new one that was because of my nationality I can stay for two years. so what is it.
    Also I was on a six month visa, can I still go back and use the last few weeks?
    One guy said just leave for a few weeks and come back you wont be stopped.
    In December I met someone and we wish to be together, it says in the blurb that we need to live together for 12 months to apply under that criteria. But how can we if I'm not allowed in the country?
    Sorry so many questions.
    I was using a job agency but not that impressed. There seems more info out on the streets.
    Now out of the counrty but wish to return asap for personal reasons.
    Ian

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard Fluffchucker. (Great username! )

Being British, you can stay in NZ on a visit visa for 6 months but then you can extend that to 9 months (it's not automatic, you have to apply for it). If you are in for 6 months you stay out for 6 months, if you're in for 9 months, you stay out for 9 months. If you have special circumstances e.g. you are nearing the end of an application process for residency and want to stay to see it through, you can extend up to a total of 12 months.

I'm not 100% on this but going by what the visitor visa guide says about duration of visas...

What a visitorís visa allows

A visitorís visa is an endorsement in your passport that allows you to travel to the New Zealand border. It may be a single entry visa (valid for one journey), or a multiple entry visa (valid for more than one journey). When you arrive in New Zealand an immigration officer will check that you meet all the requirements to be granted a visitorís permit.

I would think that, if your visit visa is single entry only, it will be cancelled as you leave. From here.

What nationality or visa status is your new partner? Depending on the answer to this, you could look at this.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

* you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Many thanks. So quick too

Ok so now I'm out you think I need to be out for six months?
    My partner is a New Zealander.
    Before I was under the impression given my age that I need a job offer to get a work permit. Are you saying that I can get a work permit as she is my partner then source work? Please remember that I am in my 50's not under 30.
    Ian

Default time together

oh and yes we have been together for less than a year

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Yes if your partner is a citizen you can apply for the work permit under partnership for up to 12months. However it
    is a requirement that you live together at the time of application.
    Your age does not make a difference in this category!
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

Blog Entries

There doesn't appear to be any requirement for a job offer to be able to apply for that type of visa. This application would be based on your 'genuine and stable relationship' rather than any job offer.

Without a job offer in hand you would be reliant on a visit visa again to get back in and there lies the difficulty if you weren't originally on a multi-entry visa. As Kiaora says, you need to be in NZ to qualify to apply for the work permit. Looks like a 6-month wait (minus however long you've been out of NZ) but at least you know there is a way you should be able to get in.
    Mother Bear

kiwiguy is offline Member

HI there is also a visitors visa under partnership

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiguy View Post
    HI there is also a visitors visa under partnership
    But how would the applicant stand if he/she had already been in NZ recently on a visitor permit, as in this case? It doesn't mention in the guide if they would be allowed to apply for another visit visa. I suspect not otherwise the system would be open to abuse i.e. people could use up their own visit visa and then apply for a sponsored visit visa to extend the period of time they can have in NZ.
    Mother Bear

danielle s is offline Junior Member

I believe the two years is for working holiday visas for English migrants, but I suspect you would unfortunately be out of the age demographic, so a work visa would be your best bet. Or, if you don't need to work, you could get a visitor's visa for a year and that would resolve your problem.

Alternately, there is a section to include reasons for separation and document your communication there - why don't you download the application and have a solid read-through? It's possible you could be apart for lengths of time and as long as you had good reason for it (visas) and well-documented communication (e-mail every day, keep phone bills, visit each other if you can) I imagine that may be enough.

You should call Immigration NZ in Auckland - they give very good free advice.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Beware the Auckland office of the Department of Immigration! My partner and I contacted them (from the US) with a relatively simple question and were given dead wrong information that cost me time and money(to the tune of several hundred dollars) and my partner and I were not very happy with them. Whatever answer you get, call again and get a "second opinion". I tried this route when I had a question about renewing my work permit and got conflicting anwers. I finally wound up making an appointment with my local MP who made a phone call and sorted things out very quickly for me. Why they couldn't do that the first time, is beyond me.

As far as a visitor's visa, why wouldn't New Zealand want someone to come back in as a visitor, or even extend the stay another six months? Since they can't legally work here, they would have to have their own money to spend in New Zealand (plus an onward or round trip airfare showing they can/will get out of the country). I don't see where the abuse is in letting someone who wants to be here, come back in to spend overseas dollars in New Zealand for another six months.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast