Thread: Auckland rain

hasen is offline Junior Member

Default Auckland rain

I'm considering moving to New Zealand and have been researching the country. One thing I discovered is that the popular destination Auckland has an incredible amount of rain. It has more rainy days and on average and more cm of rainfall per year than Birmingham, which is one of England's wetter cities. In fact it has quite a lot more than Birmingham. I think many of us plan to move from England to New Zealand largely due to the weather in England so arriving to a load of rain is certainly not great. In fact the worst thing about England's weather is the rain!

People Space is offline Senior Member

The data I could find in a quick search showed Birmingham has about 1400 hours of sunshine in a year, and Auckland has over 2000.
    Auckland does get a lot of rain, but, because of its subtropical climate, it tends to fall quickly and therefore there are less grey days than somewhere like Birmingham.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I hope this works. Graphs from Birmingham and Auckland so you can compare the two.

Birmingham

Auckland

You can see other weather details for the 2 cities here and here
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Interesting! Thanks MB.
    I note the variation through the year for rainfall is less in Birmingham (13-18 wet days/month), whereas Auckland has 10-21.
    How quickly the rain falls really does affect things too. Fine drizzle all day vs. a quick splat and then gone. cf Auckland and Dunedin sunshine hours and rainy days on the BBC site.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, I was comparing the two visually i.e. like for like but, now I look closer, I see the scale at the side of the diagrams is different. Birmingham starts at 0-20 whereas Auckland starts at 0-30. No wonder I thought Auckland was quite a bit cooler than Birmingham.

This is a general overview of the weather in NZ for anyone who is interested in these things.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hasen is offline Junior Member

Yes that was my conclusion too, more rainfall or at least as much but better temperature of course. I've been watching a tv show about people wanting to move from the UK to New Zealand and Auckland is always the choice. But it always seems to be grey and overcast, and windy. The beaches look very dark and cloudy as well as windy. They showed other parts of New Zealand on the show and they looked much more bright which is what I'd imagined New Zealand to be.

I can't imagine making all the effort to go over to NZ and be faced with not only the same dreadful English rain but perhaps even worse!

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    I hope this works. Graphs from Birmingham and Auckland so you can compare the two.

Birmingham

Auckland

You can see other weather details for the 2 cities here and here

kane is offline Junior Member

Hi there,

I live in Auckland, and can attest to the fact that we do have poor weather sometimes. However, generally Auckland is warmer and sunnier than any city in the UK. Within NZ, there are sunnier locations (Nelson/Blenheim, Bay of Plenty, Tauranga), and these regions are also drier. However, they also have greater variation in temperatures (cold/hot, while Auckland tends to be cool/warm). Personally, the thing I love about Auckland's weather is the lack of extremes. It really doesn't get excessively cold or hot, we do get lots of rain, but also lots of sun so the gardens and trees are extremely green and lush.

Anyway, here is a link to a comparison between NZ and UK cities.
    Comparison of the New Zealand and British Climates and Weather