Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying For Residency

jon1 is offline Junior Member

Default Applying For Residency

Hi, im new to this site and i have probably posted in the wrong section so please excuse me if i have.

Anyway me and my wife are wanting to move to new zealand with our 1 year old son. We have worked and travelled new zealand in the past and still have joint bank accounts etc still open in new zealand. My wife has dual residency because her parents were born in new zealand meaning she can live in the uk and new zealand. We were looking at doing a spouse application but are a little baffled as to what forms to complete? from looking on Immigration New Zealand site i assume it is the Sponsorship Form for Residence in New Zealand (NZIS 1024, pdf) and Application for Residence in New Zealand form (NZIS 1000, pdf). Im guessing these are the only 2 forms we need to fill in? With regards to medicals i know that i will need one but will my wife need one aswell and my little boy? Also will we both need police checks? WIth regards to my son gaining residency how will we go about that as he doesnt have his own passport yet nor is he named on either of ours? Sorry for all the questions but any help will be greatly appreciated.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Jon, welcome to MTNZ.

Yes, I think those 2 forms are what you need. With your wife holding NZ citizenship, I wouldn't think she would need to undergo the various procedures you will need. Because your son is under l7 years old he won't need a police certificate and because he is under 11 he won't have to have an X-ray as part of his medical. I came across this when looking at how a child would be sponsored but it makes it sound like the child's parents should already be living in NZ rather than taking the child with them. There's also this. See what you can make of it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kiaora!! is offline Senior Member

Hi there!

Since your wife is a NZ citizen, she can just apply for a birth certificate and NZ passport for your little man as he is
    a citizen too!
    You best call the embassy in London and just ask how to go about obtaining citizenship for him and they will let you know
    what paperwork they require, usually his english birth certificate and probably your wife's proof of NZ citizenship.

So far as visas goes, it ll be just you who has to go through the process and if you have a look on the immigration
    website under the family category and then partner, it s all very well described what you will need.
    There are checklists and everything so you won't miss anything out.
    It ll be the 2 forms you said but all the proof of relationship, medicals, police checks etc etc etc that will come with it.
    It s quite a simply process really and far as I know the London branch is quite quick in processing their applications as they
    want kiwis to return to NZ.

Good luck with everything!!!
    Last edited by kiaora!!; 30-12-2009 at 08:24 AM.
    WHV submitted 20/11/07 approved 15/01/08
    arrived in Auckland 23/03/08
    Work permit under partnership submitted 21/05/08 APPROVED 29/05/08
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10
    Residence permit under partnership submitted 06/03/09
    Immigration Officer assigned 30/04/09
    Residence Permit APPROVED 29/06/09
    Our Baby Boy is due 01/04/10 "whoopwhoop"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiaora!! View Post
    Since your wife is a NZ citizen, she can just apply for a birth certificate and NZ passport for your little man as he is a citizen too!
    You best call the embassy in London and just ask how to go about obtaining citizenship for him and they will let you know
    what paperwork they require, usually his english birth certificate and probably your wife's proof of NZ citizenship.
    Not sure about this. There is some discussion about citizenship by descent here.

New Zealand Citizenship by Descent

The following persons are New Zealand citizens by descent:

* those born outside New Zealand between 1949 and 1977 with a father who is a New Zealand citizen otherwise than by descent
    * those born outside New Zealand from 1 January 1978 with either parent who is a New Zealand citizen otherwise than by descent. In these cases, New Zealand citizenship must be registered in order to take effect.

New Zealand citizens by descent cannot generally pass on New Zealand citizenship to a child born outside New Zealand, unless:

* the child would otherwise have no other nationality; or
    * the child is brought to live in New Zealand and subsequently granted New Zealand citizenship
    Mother Bear

I ve never heard anything like it :)

Even the Wikipedia is kind of confusing, as it says that one of your rights as a NZ Citizen is that you are entitled to pass on
    NZ citizenship to children born outside NZ

It might just be some kind of paperwork thingy and actually be really straight forward ;) fingers crossed
    Work permit extension under partnership submitted 06/03/09 APPROVED 23/03/09 Expires 23/03/10

Blog Entries

It seems to be down to how the child's parent/s got their citizenship and whether it is registered. At the bottom it mentions that the child may get citizenship if it is brought to live in NZ and is then granted it.

This also mentions something along the same lines. The problem seems to lie where the parent has come by NZ citizenship purely through his/her parent/s being citizens rather than having come by it through being born there or living there for some time. It certainly isn't straight forward.
    Mother Bear

Thank you for all your help i really apprecite it. I printed the forms off the other day to start the application and it appears that in order to do a spouse application your partner needs to be living in new zealand as such or have some sort of nz income in order to sponsor me. As my wife lives in the uk with me and our son things just seem to go from confusing to really confusing!!! Am i missing what it is that i need to fill in or is it this difficult!!??

When you apply for the Residence Permit under Partnership there is no such thing as sponsorship moneywise..
    Are you sure you are looking at the correct category? I know the application has different sections, the family one would need
    the sponsorship but not the partnership one.. maybe have a look again if that section is actually part of what you need.. there will be a few sections irrelevant to your application :)

Blog Entries

Something isn't right here. I've known of other people previously on this forum who have been NZ citizens living in another country who wanted to take their spouse/partner back to NZ and there was no problem. I can't say I've noticed the bit about 'must already be living in NZ' before, so I wonder if this is fairly recent. It doesn't really make sense because married couples are usually together anyway so why would one be living in NZ and the other in the UK? As Simone says, NZ really wants its kiwis to come home so I can't see why it would put obstacles in the way, especially if there is a new little kiwi-in-the-making coming too. And to make it impossible to include a young child in the application? I would hope not. All this should be very straight forward. It might be a good idea to contact INZ directly to clarify the situation, stating that their website isn't clear on the matter. You can do this by email from the immigration website.
    Mother Bear

I did email the nz immigration and it appears that i need to fill in the nzis 1000, my wife needs to fill in the nzis 1024 to sponsor me and the nzis 1007 medicals the doctor fills in along with the police checks. Fingers crossed this goes through smoothly. As i type we are sitting through the application forms!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast