Thread: Would-be migrants facing two-year wait

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Would-be migrants facing two-year wait

Would-be migrants facing two-year wait
    By Lincoln Tan
    4:00 AM Thursday Nov 26, 2009

About 4000 would-be migrants applying under the family category are being told they must wait for up to two years after paying their application fees to Immigration New Zealand before they can be allocated to a case officer.

Many are elderly parents wanting to live with their New Zealand citizen or resident children, and even after being assigned a case manager, have to wait another year or two before their applications are processed.

Licensed immigration adviser Tika Ram, who has five clients in the queue waiting for officer allocation, says the agency's practice is "outrageous and unfair".

"Some may not get to live long enough to see their applications approved," he said.

"Immigration New Zealand gets $700 for every application and 4000 applicants means it has received $2.8 million in advance payment for doing absolutely nothing and that's a breach of trust," said Mr Ram.

More here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Tribesman is offline Member

Its madness having to wait this long. All the above is so true, some people may not live to see their application processed. I have just submitted mine and now im kind of in limbo mayby for up to 2 years and then its possible after all this time , one not get residency. Why cant they process application as quick as they take fee from account. Mad,Mad,Mad.

Blog Entries

I wish they would just bring out a retirement visa and have done with it. Australia has one, but then I guess they have a lot more room to absorb large numbers of people. My worry is the frequent mention of an ageing population in NZ and my fear is that they might decide they don't want any more 'olds' to come into the country because of concern about the drain on the healthcare system.
    Mother Bear

ian5859 is offline Junior Member

This is the second similar comment to my recollection, from the minister in as many weeks. Perhaps he is not a family man or is content that 'immigrants' suffer a form of mental anguish.

'But a spokeswoman for Immigration Minister Jonathan Coleman said the minister did not find the waiting time unreasonable.'

Sorry to be so candid on my first post.

Blog Entries

It could be that NZ doesn't want to encourage a flood of older immigrants who won't be bringing anything into the country other than, maybe, money. It appears they are filtering parents in so NZ can absorb them gradually. However, my feelings are that the younger, skilled element that is already in NZ, and hoping to sponsor their parents, would stand a better chance of settling well with family support around them. I'm sure quite a lot of good people with a lot to offer NZ have had to return home because of the longing to be with family again. The pull of family can be very strong and INZ needs to recognise that a happier, more settled immigrant can work more effectively and be more of an asset to the country than one who is continually pining for family back home and who may, eventually, return to their home country taking their skills with them.

I'm not suggesting that whole families are allowed in because I'm sure things would soon get out of control, but it would be very reassuring if each family was at least given the chance to bring in one or two (in the case of parents) family members who could provide an 'anchor' and incentive to stay in NZ.

Oh, and welcome to MTNZ, Ian. Happy to have you with us.
    Mother Bear

ladypippa is offline Junior Member

Default immigrants waiting time????????

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Would-be migrants facing two-year wait
    By Lincoln Tan
    4:00 AM Thursday Nov 26, 2009

About 4000 would-be migrants applying under the family category are being told they must wait for up to two years after paying their application fees to Immigration New Zealand before they can be allocated to a case officer.

Many are elderly parents wanting to live with their New Zealand citizen or resident children, and even after being assigned a case manager, have to wait another year or two before their applications are processed.

Licensed immigration adviser Tika Ram, who has five clients in the queue waiting for officer allocation, says the agency's practice is "outrageous and unfair".

"Some may not get to live long enough to see their applications approved," he said.

"Immigration New Zealand gets $700 for every application and 4000 applicants means it has received $2.8 million in advance payment for doing absolutely nothing and that's a breach of trust," said Mr Ram.

More here.

Hi, I been in NZ for 16 months at least after only 1 year i was granted permanent residency permit, I am sure it must depend on your personal and financial circumstances .My partner a kiwi sponsored me ,used an immigration consultant ,this cost us $8500 NZ dollars but as far as we are concerned is the best money we ever spent.Our agent handled everything , we however supplied everything he requested such as proof of telephone calls, letter or emails, cards photos and etc that proves our genuine relationship,also letters from our friends and family proving that we had a stable relationship.If you wish to come to NZ you must be prepared to provide any documentation that NZ immigration will asked for ,also excellent health and financial backing is required.

Is pointless applaying for immigration to NZ if you dont have money to support yourself or a job offer here ,even if u have a job offer they can refuse to renew your visa at any time as has happen to some people I know, thats why we suggest you use the experts who will dealt with all problems that arise.My partner approach our immigration consultant and he told us , I should be able to come to NZ with in 4 months after lodging my visa application and all the documents and that is what happen,I came on a working visa and my two children are on student visas.Now I am proud to say that we are a Permanent Residents and Looking forward to become a Citizen in 5 years time hopefully in Gods Grace. I know that $ 8500nz is expensive but that is for the 3 of us and we didnt have to wait for 2 years so was worth it.

ian5859 is offline Junior Member

Default Family Stream

Ladypippa

I am pleased that your application was processed so quickly and I think broadly in line with the NZIS policy of ensuring that returning Kiwis are given priority in the 'Family Category'. I am very happy that NZIS operate a policy that fairly reflects the needs and wishes of the New Zealand electorate, after all this is their country.

What I have a little diffculty understanding, is that if NZIS know that the number of applicants they already have exceedes the place available for the next two years, why would they consider taking further applications?

I am pleased to say, that we were very happy to complete the relevant documentation on our own and having waited 18 months for the allocation of a case officer (which has not happend, despite being told it would be 12 months), we will probably need to submit new medicals and possibly police checks when the existing documentation expire.

Keep happy