Thread: Skilled Migrant - WTR instead of PR

till is offline Senior Member

Default Skilled Migrant - WTR instead of PR

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the WTR visa, instead of PR, is granted automatically?

Or does that need a separate application (and payment of $240 each)?

I was trying to understand the OpMan sections, which sound like it needs another application...

SM20.10.c. If a visa or immigration officer assesses that a principal applicant has not demonstrated the ability to successfully settle and contribute but can realise their potential to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand the principal applicant will be eligible for the issue and/or grant of a work visa and/or permit (subject to the requirements of WR6 being met) to enable them to realise their potential by obtaining an offer of skilled employment (see SM7 (on page 27-1)) in New Zealand.
    WR6.c. An application for a work visa and/or permit must be made within three months of the date of the letter from INZ advising that the principal applicant may be eligible for the issue or grant of that work visa or permit.
    Application for Residence (SMC) Guide / Second Tier Assessment:
    If INZ considers you have not yet demonstrated the ability to successfully settle and contribute, but you have demonstrated you can realise your potential to successfully settle in and contribute to new Zealand, a decision on your application for residence will be deferred for a period of up to nine months. During that nine-month period you may be issued or granted a work visa or work permit to allow you to demonstrate the ability to settle in and contribute to New Zealand by obtaining an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand.
    Could someone clarify please?

Cheers,
    Till (who has still a long way to go before the question gets relevant)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Yes, it is very confusing because there are 2 kinds of WTR visas. One is granted by INZ themselves after a PR application where INZ feel that someone needs more time to prove they can settle well in NZ (often granted when there is no job offer included in the application or there are other issues that indicate someone may have difficulty settling). That visa gives you 9 months to look for a job and work at it and, after this time, if all is well, you will be granted PR.

The other WTR visa is one you opt to apply for yourself if you haven't got enough points to apply under the SMC or if you need to get to NZ quicker to take up a job offer. For this visa you do need a job offer to be able to apply and, because it gives you a temporary work visa instead of residency, it can go through the system more quickly. You can work in your job for up to 2 years whereupon you should be given PR or, if you find that you have enough points to apply at any time, you can go on to residency.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

till is offline Senior Member

Thank you, MotherBear, for the explanation.

One is granted by INZ themselves after a PR application...
    So, it does not need a separate application, but INZ just issue the WTR visa/permit (to allow me some time, 9 months that is, to settle = find a job). Right?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

No, if you have submitted an application for residency but INZ feels that you need to prove you can settle e.g. because you haven't got a job offer yet, they will offer you a WTR visa. You don't have to pay any extra for it and you don't have to apply for it.

The other type of WTR visa you do have to pay for because it is something that you need to apply for yourself if you think it's the right visa for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

steinbock is offline Member

I suppose partner gets an open work visa in this case? (WTR instead of PR). What about the kids, do they get a student visa? Because the wording of the SM20.10.c is ambiguous:

...the principal applicant will be eligible for the issue and/or grant of a work visa and/or permit ...

I think there are about 70:30 chance in PR favour however it is still good to be prepared for WTR just in case.

What about when you want to convert this type of WTR to PR, do NZIS again require new medical and paperwork? I guess so, but I haven't found any feedback/experience on that.

steinbock is offline Member

Re-reading Application for Residence Guide back and forth I guess I can partially answer myself

What about my family members who are included in my application?

If you are issued or granted a work visa or a work permit, your partner will also be issued or granted a work visa or work permit to allow them to find a job and begin working. If your partner does not wish to work they do not need to do so.

Your children will have the option of applying for a student visa, or student permit, visitor's visa, or visitor's permit.

A student visa or student permit will allow your child to study at a primary or secondary school. If your child wishes to undertake tertiary studies in New Zealand, they will need to apply for a student visa or student permit under normal student policy and pay full international student fees. If your child is too young to go to school or has finished secondary school, but does not wish to enter into tertiary studies, they will need to apply for a visitor's visa or visitor's permit.