Thread: Health Food Stores in NZ

YoungKiwi is offline Junior Member

Default Health Food Stores in NZ

I'm just curious if Health Food Stores are popular in NZ and if so, are they commonly found in smaller towns, or only in the big cities? I know that Farmer's Markets are huge - which I am totally thrilled about - and the ammount of organic food in NZ is tremendous. I just wondered if it is easy to buy organic products (such as shampoo, deoderant, essential oils etc.) In considering the weight of our luggage I just wondered if these are items that I can easily replace upon arrival. Any thoughts?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There's always Shop NZ. I don't know if there's any helpful info in here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Awesome!

Those websites are awesome and will go in my "favorites" to keep on file for later - Thanks so much.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

In my limited experience, I've noticed you can find more shops that might cater to those needs in larger cities. I live in Hamilton and it's easy enough to find organic products. But when you get to the smaller places (and I am only familiar with the northern part of the north island) the products labeled "organic" are harder to find in stores, especially if you are looking for the soaps, toothpaste, etc. Supplies will usually be limited and prices will be high. So it will really depend on where you settle.

No doubt you might be able to find the products you are looking for on the internet and have them sent to you. Out of necessity I have to take some extra vitamins and minerals and order them online, receive them in a day or two and they cost less than if I bought them retail. The website I use also has a lot of organic health and beauty items, so try doing a search and you might find what you are looking for.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

moggy is offline God like figure

I would say that there are a lot few markets in NZ than I was used to in the UK. They are also catering to the upper class buyer, with gourmet produce, rather than just plain old veggies straight from the field.
    However you main supermarkets have a good range, but pricey. I prefer to grow my own.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Wink

You can find health stores in most big cities and can get anything by mail in 2 days.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Yes, I have had a wonderful time finding all sorts of great healthy food in NZ - especially the wonderful items from the fresh farms!!! Yeah....I also found a wonderful health food store called Chantal here in Napier - I think there are some of these sorts of places in the cities. The prices are really comparable to the US as well.....A great find for sure! Thanks for the comments guys!